Rupee notes come floating in Guwahati!June 25th, 2012 - 9:24 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, June 25 (IANS) Monsoon rain which usually brings only water-logging brought riches in the form of floating Indian rupee notes in some parts of Guwahati Monday.
When most people were busy making their way through waterlogged streets, some residents, particularly in Chachal area, saw the currency notes come floating.
The incident took place near Silsako Beel, a water body.
In no time, people dumped their fishing equipment and jumped in the water body to net the Rs.500 and Rs.1,000 denomination notes.
As news of the floating currency spread like wildfire, hundreds turned up. They too jumped into the waist-deep water looking for more currency notes.
“It has never happened before! I have seen the currency notes and they seem genuine,” said an excited Dipankar Baruah, a resident.
According to him, some people managed to collect several thousands of rupees.
Police said they were “trying best to take back the currency notes from the people.
“We have collected some and contacted the Reserve Bank of India in Guwahati to verify if they are genuine,” Senior Superintendent of Police Apurba Jiban Baruah said.
“We are trying to find out from where the currency notes came. It will take some time,” said the official.
“We have appealed to people to return the money to police for the sake of investigation,” said another official.
- Floating currency notes: Youth drowns in Assam water body - Jun 26, 2012
- Assam NGO moves court for probe into floating currency - Jun 27, 2012
- Injured anti-talk NDFB cadre arrested in Guwahati - May 07, 2012
- Five Manipuri militants nabbed in Assam - Jun 08, 2012
- Mushroom path for eco-conservation - Mar 04, 2012
- Gang involved in trafficking fake currency notes busted - Jul 28, 2010
- Fake Indian currency recovered, three held - Mar 18, 2012
- Assam police launch operation against Maoists - Jan 28, 2012
- Fake currency unit busted in Bihar - Apr 26, 2011
- Fake currency unit busted, three held - Jan 10, 2011
- Separatists open finance companies in Guwahati - Dec 06, 2010
- Capturing journey of Indian currency notes (With Images) - May 02, 2010
- Briton arrested with 'contraband' Indian currency in Nepal - Nov 16, 2009
- Two GNLA linkmen held in Meghalaya - Jul 20, 2012
- Protect northeast's wetlands, lakes: Environmentalists - May 10, 2011
Tags: bank of india, currency, deep water, denomination notes, dipankar, fishing equipment, indian rupee, money, monsoon rain, reserve bank of india, rs 1, rs 500, rupee notes, rupees, sake, superintendent, water body, water logging, will take some time