Rubina’s estranged mom shocked over ’sale’ reportsApril 19th, 2009 - 5:34 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, April 19 (IANS) “Slumdog Millionaire” child star Rubina Ali’s mother Khushi is aghast by reports that her ex-husband was prepared to sell their daughter for 200,000 pounds (over Rs.14 million), but said her elder daughter had informed her about the matter two weeks ago.
“Though my elder daughter Sanaa informed me of the matter almost two weeks ago, I did not believe he (Rafiq Qureshi) would actually agree to do this,” a shocked Khushi told IANS here Sunday.
Khushi said that Qureshi and his second wife Meena were always “crazy for money”.
“Now that my daughter has achieved international fame, they want to capitalise on it at any cost,” she said.
British news website News of the World had reported that Qureshi wanted to get rid of poverty and become a millionaire by selling his nine-year-old daughter after it conducted a sting operation.
Qureshi demanded 200,000 pounds from the News of the World’s undercover reporters who posed as a wealthy family from Dubai. He told the fake sheikh this week: “I have to consider what’s best for me, my family and Rubina’s future.”
While Qureshi’s phone was constantly switched off, his neighbour and friend Yakub Abdul Sheikh confirmed that the incident had occurred a few days ago, but nobody really took it seriously as Rubina’s father said he had been “misunderstood” by the foreigners.
“Qureshi later told me that since the foreigners were speaking in Arabic, he misunderstood what the interpreter was saying,” Sheikh said.
Sheikh claimed that Qureshi had told him he had no intentions of giving away his daughter in adoption for 200,000 pounds to an Arab family as reported by the British media.
“Qureshi feels that the issue was blown out of proportion because of the miscommunication with the foreigners,” Sheikh said.
Rubina’s mother also said that Qureshi should be made to account for the money the nine-year-old had earned from the multiple Oscar-winning film and added that the money be spent to admit the girl to a good hostel.
“That money should be put aside in a separate deposit in Rubina’s name and she should be admitted to a good hostel. She can be taken care of and can also pursue her studies and acting career simultaneously,” Khushi said.
- 'Slumdog' star Rubina's mom drags her, ex-husband to police - Apr 19, 2009
- 'Slumdog' kids back in shanties - with Oscar dreams - Mar 02, 2011
- Father of Slumdog star Rubina Ali arrested - Apr 21, 2009
- Fairytale ride continues for 'Slumdog Millionaire' children - Mar 22, 2012
- 'Slumdog' star Rubina's case closed, father gets clean chit - Apr 26, 2009
- Rubina's father rubbishes allegation of selling daughter - Apr 19, 2009
- 'Slumdog' star Rubina up for sale, father asks for 200,000 pounds - Apr 19, 2009
- Slumdog star Rubina Ali's father cleared of charges - Apr 25, 2009
- Slumdog star Rubina's real mum wants liar dad jailed over daughter selling plot - Apr 26, 2009
- From slums to queen of suburbs, Rubina Ali goes places (With Image) - Oct 16, 2011
- Shekhar Kapur slams British tabloid for 'Slumdog...' sting - Apr 22, 2009
- Cops: No evidence against 'Slumdog' dad - Apr 23, 2009
- Anil Kapoor keen to get 'Slumdog' kid's sale story clear - Apr 23, 2009
- All gone in fire, grieves 'Slumdog' star Rubina Ali - Mar 05, 2011
- Slumdog star Rubina Ali shoots Schweppes ad with Nicole Kidman - May 07, 2009
Tags: arab family, british news, child star, dubai, elder daughter, foreigners, international fame, interpreter, khushi, millionaire, miscommunication, neighbour, news of the world, poverty, proportion, rubina, second wife, sting operation, wealthy family, yakub