Roses and more at Chandigarh festivalFebruary 25th, 2011 - 4:56 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Feb 25 (IANS) If you want to be a ‘rose prince’ or a ‘rose princess’, come to the Rose Festival in Chandigarh that began Friday and which boasts of not only flowers but also music, dance and a host of competitions. In the backdrop of drum beats and music, Chandigarh administrator and Punjab Governor Shivraj Patil inaugurated the 39th edition of the three-day Rose Festival here. Chandigarh administration is expecting tens of thousands of tourists.
“There would be fun-filled activities like concerts, musical nights, comedy shows, ‘antakshri’, food streets and various competitions during the Rose festival. There would be live performances by singers Hans Raj Hans, Priyani Vani and Mohit Chauhan,” said Ram Niwas, Chandigarh home-cum-tourism secretary, here Friday.
“Besides the annual flower competition, there would be a rose prince and princess competition, brass and pipe band contest, on the spot painting competition, rose quiz, folk dances, photography and kite flying competitions.”
Also known as Zakir Hussain Rose Garden - named after India’s former president - the 46-acre venue was set up in 1967. There are around 32,500 plants of 850 rose varieties here.
Officials here claim it is Asia’s largest rose garden. An important tourist destination, it is thronged by hundreds of visitors from India and abroad every day.
- Chandigarh to host Rose Festival - Feb 04, 2011
- Kennedy, Elizabeth and Delhi Prince at Rose Festival! - Feb 17, 2011
- Chandigarh is agog for rose festival - Feb 24, 2010
- Rose Festival begins in Chandigarh - Feb 26, 2010
- Flower show lures tourists to Chandigarh - Feb 28, 2010
- At 40, Chandigarh's Rose Festival still in bloom (With Images) - Feb 22, 2012
- Chandigarh to get Garden of Springs - Feb 08, 2011
- Centre gives Chandigarh Rs.31 mn for Garden of Spring - Jan 03, 2011
- Chandigarh's roses as beautiful as the city, gush foreigners - Feb 26, 2011
- Now Chandigarh to have a Garden of Palms - Feb 19, 2011
- Chandigarh all geared to celebrate World Tourism Day - Sep 26, 2009
- Chandigarh to have week-long celebrations of Tourism Day - Sep 18, 2010
- Chandigarh gears up for rose festival - Feb 14, 2009
- Tea house, pagoda huts et al - a Japanese Garden in Chandigarh! - Jan 30, 2011
- Chandigarh Rock Garden to open in evening too - Dec 07, 2010
Tags: backdrop, drum beats, folk dances, food streets, former president, hans raj hans, kite, live performances, mohit, music dance, pipe band contest, prince and princess, priyani vani, punjab, raj, ram niwas, rose festival, tourism secretary, tourist destination, zakir hussain