Rice at Rs.2 a kg for poor in Tripura: SarkarJuly 12th, 2012 - 10:29 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, July 12 (IANS) To woo the voters ahead of the assembly polls, the Left Front government in Tripura will provide rice under the public distribution system (PDS) to the poor at Rs.2 a kg and increase its quota for others, Chief Minister Manik Sarkar announced here Thursday.
Assembly elections in the country’s lone left ruled state are scheduled for next February.
“To give relief to the poor people from the the sufferings of the rising prices of the essentials, the state government has decided to provide rice to the poor under the PDS at Rs.2 per kg from next month,” Sarkar told reporters immediately after a cabinet meeting.
Sarkar said: “The state government has also decided to provide rice under the PDS to the families living above poverty line (APL) at 20 kg a month instead of 18 kg from August.”
With this decision, 9.58 lakh households, including 2.95 lakh families living below the poverty line (BPL) in Tripura would be benefited.
The chief minister said providing the rice at Rs.2 a kg to 2.95 lakh BPL families would cost the state government Rs.36.45 crore annually.
The chief minister has demanded to bring all people irrespective of BPL and APL families under the food security bill that the central government is discussing with the states and the concerned stake holders.
“The UPA (United Progressive Alliance) government had failed to bring the Food Security Bill though the Left parties were demanding it for the past many years,” Sarkar added.
- Tripura opposes food security bill - Oct 18, 2011
- Centre, states to discuss food bill (Lead) - Feb 06, 2012
- Parliamentary panel on food bill to meet Jan 23 - Jan 18, 2012
- Action against fake poor in Tripura - Jul 31, 2012
- Pulses, edible oils may be subsidised to reduce prices: Food Minister (Interview) - Jul 26, 2012
- Government reviews food security bill - Feb 29, 2012
- Film stars, NRIs in Kerala's BPL list - Dec 27, 2011
- Iodised salt for Jharkhand poor at 50p a kg - Jul 31, 2011
- Government to take states on board over food bill - Jan 10, 2012
- CPI-M denounces Food Security Bill - Dec 16, 2011
- Tripura offers land, housing to poor families - Jul 05, 2012
- Orissa gives subsidised rice to riots victims - Oct 25, 2010
- Extra subsidised rice to poor in 12 districts in Northeast - Jul 23, 2012
- Give surplus foodgrain free to poor: Apex court (Lead) - Aug 12, 2010
- Draft food security bill faulty: Tripura government - Nov 05, 2011
Tags: alliance government, apl, assembly elections, bpl, cabinet meeting, central government, chief minister, food security, left parties, living below the poverty line, manik, pds, progressive alliance, public distribution system, rs 2, sarkar, security bill, stake holders, sufferings, UPA