Redback Spiders strike at a Queensland HospitalApril 24th, 2008 - 12:19 am ICT by amritpal
Baralaba hospital in Queensland, Australia has been plagued by redback spiders that have mushroomed apparently due to the warm weather. The health officials said keeping in mind the safety of patients, they have decided to close down the hospital for a day and get the place fumigated. One of the officials has admitted that there has always been a problem with redback spiders, but this one has aggravated to an extent that they have to close down for a day. The Hospital in located 200 miles north of Brisbane in the Queensland state’s Banana Shire town.
The spiders scientifically referred to as latrodectus hasselti, have a red stripe on their back, are about 4 centimeters long and very common in Queensland. A cousin of bladk widow spiders (Their bite has not been recorded fatal for last 50 years, but it is known that its sting is poisonous causes chronic pain.
The officials had been spraying the area with chemicals five times a week, but the efforts had failed to control the deady insects. From ceilings till floors, they were to be found everywhere. The pest controllers said that their sudden breeding had occurred due to the wet and humid weather, which gives an excellent breeding ground to the species.
The Baralaba Hospital is expected to remain closed on Thursday and will be resuming on Friday.
- Toxic mushrooms kill seven, poison 50 in China - Aug 04, 2012
- Lazy male spiders reveal secrets of saving skin during steamy sex - Oct 21, 2009
- Fly named after Beyonce - Jan 13, 2012
- Attack of the moths at Olympics Village - Jul 25, 2012
- Boffins turn 'worm in the apple' gay to save crops - Apr 11, 2010
- UK shop worker comes face to face with a venomous spider - Feb 23, 2012
- Foxconn India plant shut down after toxic gas leak (Lead) - Jul 25, 2010
- GM crops no longer safe from pests - Jun 21, 2012
- Grasshopper infestations hampering normal life in Wyoming - Mar 30, 2010
- Dallas declares emergency over west Nile virus - Aug 17, 2012
- Foxconn India plant shut down following toxic gas leak - Jul 25, 2010
- Black widow spiders infest a San Diego Elementary School - Oct 03, 2010
- Dengue spurs sales in mosquito repellents, launch of new products - Aug 29, 2010
- Rodent trouble giving jitters to CWG officials - Apr 09, 2010
- For Games, MCD to take bite out of mosquitoes - May 15, 2010