Rats nibble away dead infant’s eye in Bengal hospitalApril 19th, 2008 - 6:40 pm ICT by admin
Kolkata, April 19 (IANS) As the family members of a newborn who had died went to the morgue of a hospital in West Bengal, they were shocked to see one of the eyes and a portion of the face had been eaten away by rats. The nursing superintendent at Barasat District Hospital in North 24-Parganas district first found the mutilated body of the infant and informed authorities.
“When we came to receive the body Saturday morning we saw a portion of the newborn’s face was badly nibbled. The incident proved there was no medical infrastructure provided in the hospital,” said a neighbour of Boishakhi Das, the mother of the infant.
Hospital sources said Boishakhi, 19, gave birth to a baby girl Thursday in the hospital but the infant died the next day. The body was kept in the hospital morgue Friday night.
The incident led to tension in the hospital premises as Boishakhi’s family protested and demanded immediate action against the hospital authorities.
“It’s a very unfortunate incident. After primary observation I think a portion of the newborn’s face was nibbled away by rats. It’s definitely an administrative failure and I will ensure it will never happen in future,” hospital superintendent Ranjan Kumar Majumdar told IANS.
He said a committee led by the hospital assistant superintendent was formed to investigate the case.
A 55-year-old diabetes patient, Gouri Rani Chakraborty, had died in a Kolkata hospital in 2005, after large black ants nibbled away her left eye.
- Rats nibble on paralysed man as hospital staff sleep - Jan 11, 2012
- Second case of rats mutilation in Rajasthan - Jan 14, 2012
- Youth killed for protesting abuse of sister - Feb 15, 2011
- Rat attack on patient: Action against two hospital employees - Jan 12, 2012
- Rat-bite death: Hospital orders probe, Mamata alleges CPI-M role (Lead) - Dec 24, 2011
- AMRI fire Tripura victim's body found after 12 days - Dec 22, 2011
- 19 infants die in two Bengal hospitals - Feb 03, 2012
- Action against Punjab health officials for infant's death - Aug 17, 2012
- Hospital to probe patient's death by 'rat bite' - Dec 24, 2011
- Narayanan condemns killing of boy protesting eve-teasing - Feb 17, 2011
- One held for killing youth who protested sister's abusers - Feb 17, 2011
- No 'poriborton' in health care in Didi's Bengal (West Bengal Newsletter) - Dec 25, 2011
- Baby allegedly dies after mother cleaned with acid - Nov 02, 2011
- After infant's death over Rs 200, Punjab makes neo-natal services free - Jul 27, 2012
- Teenager raped, killed in West Bengal - Dec 28, 2010
Tags: assistant superintendent, baby girl, chakraborty, diabetes patient, friday night, hospital authorities, hospital premises, hospital sources, kolkata, large black ants, left eye, majumdar, medical infrastructure, morgue, neighbour, nibble, rats, saturday morning, unfortunate incident, west bengal