Ratan Tata to meet Buddhadeb todayOctober 3rd, 2008 - 10:35 am ICT by ANI
Kolkata, Oct 3 (ANI): Tata Group Chairman Ratan Tata will meet West Bengal Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee here today to discuss the company’’s ”Nano” car project in Singur which has run into rough weather after strong resistance from the Mamata Banerjee’’s Trinamool Congress over farmland acquisition issue.
According to sources, the meeting is scheduled to be held in the afternoon at the Writers” Buildings.
Work on the Tata’’s ”Nano” project has been suspended for nearly a month because of the protest by the Trinamool Congress.
Earlier, Buddhadeb had written to Tata requesting him to restart work at the Nano plant at Singur. The Chief Minister in his letter had promised to extend all possible help and cooperation to the Tatas.
Trouble began after the West Bengal Government acquired 1000 acres of farmland for the Tata Motors”” small car plant at Singur last year. The State Government offered compensation, which some farmers rejected.
Mamata then took up the fight of the farmers, demanding that at least 400 acres of the acquired land be returned to farmers. The Government says it is in favour of a land-based solution for farmers, but was against disturbing the Tata Motors plant site. (ANI)
- West Bengal minister visits Singur site - May 31, 2011
- Mamata buckles under anti-land acquisition stir, cancels Sankarail project (Lead) - Jan 14, 2011
- Tata compliments Mamata, she says thanks - Dec 15, 2011
- Mamata government tables Singur bill - Jun 14, 2011
- Bengal to acquire 400 acres at Singur to return to farmers - Jun 09, 2011
- West Bengal moves apex court on Singur land law - Aug 07, 2012
- After protests, Mamata for shifting wagon factory to Singur - Jan 13, 2011
- I believe Singur's farmers will win, says Mamata - Jun 22, 2012
- 2007 accord on Tata's Singur plant land to be made public - May 26, 2011
- Monthly allowance to Singur's unwilling farmers doubled - Jun 27, 2012
- Industry will be set up in Singur: Buddhadeb - Jan 09, 2011
- We are committed to the cause of Singur farmers: Mamata (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Pranab supports Mamata on Singur land bill - Jun 11, 2011
- Singur verdict people's victory: Mamata - Sep 28, 2011
- Making Singur land accord public will take time: Bengal minister - May 27, 2011
Tags: acquisition, car plant, car project, chairman ratan tata, chief minister, farmers, farmland, favour, group chairman, mamata banerjee, nano project, resistance, rough weather, singur, small car, state government, tata group, tata motors, trinamool congress, west bengal government