Ralegan Siddhi celebrates Anna’s victoryAugust 28th, 2011 - 3:32 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai/Ralegan Siddhi, Aug 28 (IANS) There was a carnival like atmosphere in Ralegan Siddhi, the native village of Anna Hazare, and other parts of Maharashtra as the anti-corruption crusader broke his 12-day fast against corruption.
The villagers, who supported Hazare through various forms of non-violent protests, including a ‘no bath day’, sang and danced when the 74-year-old drank the coconut water and honey mixture at New Delhi’s Ramilia Maidan.
“Over 2,000 residents of the village gathered at Sant Yadavbaba temple and prayed for Annaji’s long life and thanked him for taking forward the cause of common man,” said legislator Vijay Avti.
“Annaji is a national hero. He has shown everyone that much can still be achieved by a hunger strike and a peaceful agitation,” he added.
With Kailesh Kher’s catchy Anna number “Ambar tak yahi naad gunje ga” blasting from loudspeakers, the villagers danced with zeal and enthusiasm.
Meanwhile, at Mumbai’s Azad Maidan, thousands gathered to celebrate Hazare’s victory.
People wearing “I am Anna” caps raised slogans like “Mai bhi Anna” and “Annaji ki jai ho” while many broke into spontaneous jigs.
“It is the victory of people’s power, the democracy. Half the battle has been won and we are geared up to fight for the rest,” said a student.
- No-bath protest in Hazare's village - Aug 18, 2011
- Celebrations in Mumbai as Hazare ends fast - Aug 28, 2011
- After Ramlila Maidan, all roads lead to Ralegan Siddhi - Sep 12, 2011
- Jubiliation in Maharashtra over Anna's victory (Lead) - Aug 27, 2011
- Hazare returns to native village - Sep 01, 2011
- Film fraternity came out in full strength to support Anna's movement - Aug 28, 2011
- Hazare shifts to old residence - Oct 21, 2011
- Hazare's movement showcased in photo-exhibition - Apr 08, 2012
- Hazare might be admitted to Pune hospital: Associate - Dec 31, 2011
- 100 arrested in Mumbai for protesting Anna's detention (Lead) - Aug 16, 2011
- Anna Hazare may make it to 'Time' cover soon - Nov 26, 2011
- Shutdown in Hazare's village, protests in Pune, Mumbai - Aug 16, 2011
- Hazare supporters stopped from march in Mumbai - Apr 07, 2011
- Thousands celebrate Anna's victory at India Gate - Aug 28, 2011
- Ralegan-Siddhi villagers back Hazare - Jul 29, 2012
Tags: agitation, anna hazare, annaji, azad, coconut water, common man, crusader, half the battle, honey mixture, hunger strike, jai, jigs, legislator, loudspeakers, maharashtra, maidan, national hero, siddhi, violent protests, yahi