Rajasthan woman approaches court to annul child marriageJune 12th, 2012 - 11:06 pm ICT by IANS
Jodhpur, June 12 (IANS) A 24-year-old woman Tuesday approached the Rajasthan High Court’s Jodhpur bench requesting it to annul her marriage that was solemnised when she was nine years old.
After admitting her petition, the court issued notice to the state government directing it to provide security to the girl from the members of a community council who, she claimed, were threatening her and her family.
The girl, Shobha Choudhary, is a resident of Keru area in Jodhpur, some 350 km from Jaipur.
“I was married when I was nine years old. I stayed at my parents’ house until recently. But after a local custom called ‘gauna’, I was forced by our village community members to live with my in-laws,” Shobha told media persons.
“I found out soon that my husband is semi-illiterate while I am a graduate. I aspire to clear some competitive exams. So I could not accept such a marriage in any way,” she added.
When the caste council of her village came to know about her decision not to stay with her in-laws, she started getting threats, Shobha said.
“The caste council members threatened to expel me and my family members from the society which meant that we would not be able to mingle with other villagers,” she added.
Shobha said that she approached the Rajasthan High Court due to these threats.
“The court has issued notice asking the state government’s home secretary and Jodhpur police commissioner to provide me security,” said Shobha adding that she also wants to annual her marriage officially.
“Child marriage is illegal and being an educated girl, I am not going to accept it,” she asserted.
- Rajasthan girl seeks annulment of her child marriage - Jun 18, 2012
- Rajasthan woman seeks annulment of her child marriage - Aug 04, 2012
- Another Rajasthan woman wants annulment of child marriage - Jun 27, 2012
- 16-year-old refuses to accept her child marriage - Apr 23, 2012
- Caste council in Rajasthan orders family's boycott, police file case - Aug 04, 2012
- Court asks police to produce illegally confined girl - Jun 22, 2012
- Man arrested in Rajasthan for selling off wife - Aug 04, 2012
- Runaway bride returns home to new toilet in Uttar Pradesh - Jun 28, 2012
- Caste councils warn couple about marrying in same community - May 13, 2010
- Court wants to know progress in missing nurse's case - Sep 20, 2011
- Boy elopes with girl, khap orders attack on kin - Aug 23, 2011
- Wedding against khap's wish held under police cover - May 15, 2010
- Haryana panchayat directs couple to annul marriage - May 18, 2010
- Sacked Rajasthan minister elected village co-op chief from jail - Dec 14, 2011
- Missing nurse case: Maderna shifted to Jaipur jail - Apr 04, 2012
Tags: bench, caste, child marriage, community members, council members, family members, home secretary, jaipur, local custom, marriage, media persons, nine years, old woman, parents, petition, police commissioner, rajasthan high court, state government