Radical Sikh group again voices ‘Khalistan’ demandApril 29th, 2009 - 8:06 pm ICT by IANS
Hoshiarpur (Punjab) April 29 (IANS) Radical group Dal Khalsa reiterated its demand for a separate Sikh homeland Wednesday, the 23rd anniversary of what it calls “Khalistan declaration day”.
A resolution to this effect was passed by Dal Khalsa leaders at a meeting in this town, 140 km from Chandigarh.
“Twenty-three years ago, on this day, a five-member Panthic Committee constituted by the Sarbat Khalsa convened by Damdami Taksal passed a resolution at Akal Takht Sahib favouring the independence of Punjab,” Dal Khalsa secretary Kanwarpal Singh said here.
“If the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh-Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) can openly talk of the formation of a Hindu rashtra, why should Sikhs be devoid of their right to a separate state?” asked Dal Khalsa president H.S. Dhami.
Punjab had witnessed a prolonged phase of terrorism by Sikh militants between 1981 and 1995.
The Dal Khalsa leaders cautioned people against attempts by the ruling Akali Dal, its ally BJP and the Congress to encourage fake god men and their sect culture. They urged people to vote for leaders - other than those belonging to these parties - who would give them good governance.
-Indo-Asian News Service
- Dal Khalsa releases Operation Bluestar directory - Jun 05, 2012
- Sikh clergy lays foundation stone of Operation Bluestar memorial - May 20, 2012
- Punjab at crossroads: Sikh clergy gives in to radical rhetoric (Punjab Newsletter) - Jun 08, 2012
- Badal conferred highest Sikh title, radicals cry foul - Dec 05, 2011
- Amended Sikh calendar released in Amritsar - Mar 14, 2010
- Sikh radicals to hold 'genocide march' in Amritsar (Lead) - Jun 02, 2009
- Radical Sikhs to take out 'genocide march' in Amritsar - Jun 02, 2009
- Akalis seek to evoke memories of Operation Bluestar before election - Mar 22, 2009
- Akali Dal releases agenda for gurdwara panel poll - Aug 20, 2011
- Sikh bodies flay political parties wooing sects in Punjab - Apr 14, 2009
- Shutdown affects Punjab, Rajoana appeals for peace (Third Lead) - Mar 28, 2012
- Pro-Khalistan slogans raised in Golden Temple complex - Jun 06, 2012
- Sikh organisations to mark 25 years of Operation Bluestar - May 24, 2009
- Punjab shutdown against riots hits normal life (Roundup) - Nov 03, 2009
- Sikh leaders order demolition of Golden Temple replica - Jun 20, 2009
Tags: akali dal, april 29, asian news, dal khalsa, declaration day, dhami, good governance, hindu rashtra, indo, janata party, militants, punjab, radical group, rashtriya swayamsevak sangh, sahib, sarbat, sect, sikh homeland, sikhs, twenty three years