Quick tips to ease computer eye strainJuly 29th, 2010 - 2:53 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, July 29 (ANI): If you use a computer more than two hours a day, you could be suffering from Computer Vision Syndrome (CVS).
A CBS News Medical Correspondent Dr. Jennifer Ashton explained CVS is associated with symptoms that come with sitting in front of a computer, hand-held device, iPhone, iPodfor hours every day.
“The most common symptoms are: eye strain, dry or irritated eyes, fatigue, and headaches,” CBS News quoted Ashton as saying.
She provides some quick tips to keep eye strain at bay:
1. Blink Often: When looking at a computer or hand-held digital device, it’s common for you to blink two to three times less than you normally would.
This can lead to “dry eye.” Blinking bathes your eyes in tears, and tears are naturally therapeutic for the eyes.
2. The 20/20/20 Rule: When spending long periods in front of a digital device, every 20 minutes, spend 20 seconds looking at something 20 feet away to allow your eyes to rest.
3. Ensure Proper Lighting: To help ease the strain on your eyes, keep bright lighting overhead to a minimum and position your desk lamp to shine on your desk, and not at you. Position your computer screen in a way that reduces reflections and glare from windows or overhead lights.
4. Location of computer screen: Optimally, the computer screen should be 15 to 20 degrees below eye level (about 4 or 5 inches) as measured from the centre of the screen and 20 to 28 inches from the eyes. (ANI)
- How iPads make eyes itchy and inflamed - Apr 01, 2012
- How to fight the signs of aging - Jan 05, 2011
- 3D TVs 'can cause headaches, nausea' - Dec 16, 2010
- Now blink and flick channels! - Sep 03, 2012
- MPs allowed to 'tweet' during debates in Commons - Mar 25, 2011
- Flash an LED smile to scare somebody - Jan 26, 2011
- The six worst things about being male (The Funny Side) - Aug 31, 2012
- Smartphone squint causes premature wrinkles - Feb 03, 2011
- Connect to your computer in blink of an eye - May 12, 2011
- Some ideas for decorating office cubicles - Feb 01, 2011
- From citing God as reference to rhyming CVs - what people do to get jobs! - Feb 22, 2011
- Backache, sore arms and neck ache - symptoms of 'laptop-itis' - Aug 12, 2010
- Cut your flab 'while at office, outside and even when asleep' - Apr 24, 2011
- After iPhone, game-changer PaperPhone is here! - May 06, 2011
- New paper computer, PaperPhone, set to revolutionise smartphones, tablets - May 05, 2011
Tags: bay 1, blink, bright lighting, cbs news, computer eye strain, computer screen, computer vision syndrome, desk lamp, eye level, fatigue, glare, headaches, iphone, irritated eyes, jennifer ashton, long periods, news medical correspondent, proper lighting, reflections, three times