Purple potato chips make their debut in BritainOctober 6th, 2010 - 5:13 pm ICT by IANS
London, Oct 6 (IANS) It might seem a challenge to make chips even more popular than they are, but Sainsbury’s is having a go.
From Wedneday, Sainsbury’s is selling purple potatoes which carry their deep hue to the core.
The colour survives the cooking process to provide purple chips, baked potatoes and even roasties and mash - which all taste the same as the familiar creamy white type.
As a bonus, the spectacular potatoes are packed with healthy anthocyanin, which gives blueberries, blackberries and aubergines their distinctive tints, reports the Daily Mail.
Anthocyanin is a powerful antioxidant which protects cells from damage and so may prevent cancer. Consumption of it is also thought to have many other beneficial effects.
In nature there are thousands of varieties of potatoes, many having deep red and purple flesh. The new Purple Majesty has been crossed from these original strains by a team of experts at Colorado University in the US.
It is being grown in Scotland by the Albert Bartlett company.
Only 400 tons have been grown this year, which means supplies will be limited, but a bigger crop is planned next year.
Sainsbury’s is putting Purple Majesty in selected stores from Wednesday, and believes they new chips will be a particular success around Halloween at the end of this month.
The store’s head of product technology Liz Jarman said: “Creamy white mashed potato could soon be a thing of the past.”
- Healthy Purple potatoes developed - Oct 06, 2010
- Not-so-sweet potato resists pests and disease - Jun 22, 2011
- Black rice is the new cancer-fighting superfood (Lead) - Aug 27, 2010
- Potatoes back on menus as healthy meal - Apr 26, 2011
- Coming soon, a purple chip that tastes good and prolongs life - Jan 04, 2009
- Tropical blueberry is the ultimate super fruit - Apr 28, 2011
- Blueberries help curb high blood pressure - Jan 16, 2011
- Kids' meals consisting of white potatoes are rich in nutrients - Apr 12, 2011
- Eating blueberries 'can guard against high BP' - Jan 15, 2011
- Purple sweet potato may help fight cancer - Jun 30, 2009
- Chris Voigt Awarded "Potato Man Of The Year" Title - Jan 15, 2011
- 'Forbidden' black rice could be greatest 'superfood' - Aug 27, 2010
- Avoiding the Season's Biggest Turkey Mistakes - Nov 11, 2010
- Blueberries help build sturdy bones - Jun 22, 2011
- Potato diet cuts blood pressure, causes no weight gain - Sep 01, 2011
Tags: albert bartlett, anthocyanin, baked potatoes, bartlett company, beneficial effects, blackberries, blueberries, britain london, colorado university, daily mail, jarman, mash, potato chips, product technology, purple majesty, purple potatoes, sainsbury, team of experts, tints, wedneday