Prostate cancer treatment ‘ups risk of colorectal cancer’November 16th, 2010 - 5:58 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Nov 16 (ANI): In a new study, researchers found that men treated with hormone-based therapy for prostate cancer faced a 30 percent to 40 percent higher risk of colorectal cancer, compared to patients who did not receive this treatment.
The first study of its kind looked at use of androgen deprivation therapy, a common type of treatment for prostate cancer that involves blocking the male hormone testosterone through either surgical removal of the testicles or a series of injections.
Researchers looked at data from 107,859 men aged 67 and older with prostate cancer, identified through the Surveillance, Epidemiology and End Results and Medicare linked database, which provides information about older adults with newly diagnosed cancer.
The researchers found that the risk increased the longer a man received androgen deprivation therapy. Patients who had their testicles removed, a procedure called orchiectomy, had the highest rates of colorectal cancer.
Results of the study were published online in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute. (ANI)
- High level of testosterone may speed up prostate cancer - Jul 31, 2012
- Hormone therapy 'doubles survival chances in men with prostate cancer' - Mar 25, 2011
- Surgery effective for aggressive prostate cancer patients - Sep 28, 2010
- Prostate cancer patients on hormone therapy 'at increased heart disease risk' - Sep 23, 2009
- Gene fusion is the 'smoking gun' in the development of prostate cancer: Study - May 19, 2010
- Researchers look at new treatment for prostate cancer - Nov 15, 2010
- Australian scientists identify new way to treat prostate cancer - Feb 26, 2010
- 'Statins prevent cancer in heart transplant patients' - May 20, 2012
- No conclusive evidence to show 'male menopause' exists - Jun 03, 2010
- Prostate cancer therapy 'ups risk of bone, heart-related problems' - Apr 27, 2009
- Low testosterone levels could cause diabetes - May 06, 2012
- FDA approves personalized therapy for tough-to-treat colorectal cancer - Jul 26, 2012
- Benefits of testosterone treatment for frailty in older men are temporary - Nov 05, 2010
- Male sex hormones that mutate in prostate cancer identified - Nov 15, 2010
- Steroid hormone deficiency may be behind cardiovascular disease - Sep 26, 2009
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,