Proof for Persian Gulfs name exists in all historical records, says archaeologistDecember 15th, 2008 - 2:36 pm ICT by ANI
Tehran, Dec 15 (ANI): An archaeologist has said that the name Persian Gulf has a historical root and has been registered in all historical documents and texts, and so, efforts to alter the name will prove futile.
According to a report by Islamic Republic News Agency (IRNA), British archaeologist Dr. Lloyd Weeks made the statement at the 10th International Congress on Iran Archaeology in Bandar Abbas, capital of Hormuzgan province.
World reputed academic circles have also recognized the place as Persian Gulf and no other names are credited, Weeks told IRNA.
In my whole carrier of research and scientific activities in different places in the world, I have never heard a name except Persian Gulf, he added.
With no doubt, the recent efforts to alter the historical and documented name of Persian Gulf will not bear any result for anyone, even in the future, said Weeks, who is an specialist in pre-historic era.
Around 200 well-known Iranian archaeologists as well as tens of reputed archaeologists from Italy, Britain, Germany, France and other European countries attended the 10th International Congress on Iran Archaeology. (ANI)
- Iran seizes 2 tonnes of illicit drugs - Jul 28, 2012
- Iran includes three indigenous submarines in navy - Nov 29, 2011
- Iran warns Google over changing Persian Gulf's name - May 17, 2012
- New evidence confirms antiquity of 'Persian Gulf' title - Jul 06, 2009
- Iran building its second naval destroyer - Dec 26, 2011
- 16 die as Iranian boat sinks - Jan 22, 2012
- Toll in Iranian boat tragedy rises to 17 (Lead) - Jan 23, 2012
- Iran to export natural gas to India, Oman - Sep 25, 2011
- Iran test-fires new missiles - Jan 01, 2012
- Iran begins 'Holy Prophet 5' war games - Apr 22, 2010
- Iran threatens legal action over oil embargo - Jul 05, 2012
- US deploys underwater drones to hunt for Iranian mines - Jul 12, 2012
- Iran warns US battleship to keep out of Gulf - Jan 03, 2012
- Israeli military can be 'swept aside' by Iran: US analyst - Jul 11, 2012
- Smugglers in Iraq Blunt Sanctions Against Tehran - Jul 09, 2010
Tags: academic circles, archaeologists, archaeology, bandar abbas, british archaeologist, different places, dr lloyd, european countries, germany france, historical documents, international congress, irna, islamic republic news, islamic republic news agency, no doubt, persian gulf, places in the world, republic news agency, tehran, tens