President, PM greet nation on Eid-e-Milad, Holi (Lead)March 9th, 2009 - 8:43 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 9 (IANS) President Pratibha Patil, Vice President Hamid Ansari and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh greeted the nation on the occasions of Eid-e-Milad and Holi praying for peace and prosperity.
Eid-e-Milad, the birthday of Prophet Mohammed, will be celebrated Tuesday, while Holi, the festival of colours, would be celebrated Wednesday.
“May the message of universal peace, compassion, tolerance and service to humanity preached by the prophet inspire us to live in fellowship, harmony and unity,” said the president in her message.
Noting that the festival of colours is the harbinger of joy, happiness and fulfilment, which is celebrated at the onset of spring, the president hoped the “joyous festivities would infuse a sense of compassion for fellow human beings”.
“Just like the myriad colours of Holi, our nation too is replete with diversity and let us learn to respect and protect the vibrant culture of our nation.
“Let the celebrations this year also bring the young and the old together and the joyous festivities infuse in us a sense of compassion for our fellow human beings in our life,” she said.
Vice President Hamid Ansari said Eid-e-Milad reminds us of the life and spiritual teachings of Prophet Mohammed. “Through his message of love, humanism, righteousness and tolerance, Prophet Mohammed continues to illumine our lives and remains an abiding source of spiritual strength for all humanity.”
He said on this occasion let us pray that god bestows his blessings on all of us for peace, progress and harmony and unites us all in a common brotherhood of humanity.
About Holi, he said it is truly a national festival which reinforces our unity amidst diversity through the joyful celebration of sprinkling of colours. “The festive spirit of Holi transcends all social barriers and strengthens the social fabric. Let us celebrate this festival to promote harmony, happiness and integration in our society.”
Manmohan Singh said the teachings of the prophet proclaiming the oneness of god and compassion to fellow human beings are eternal. “His life and work inspired us to spread peace, love and tolerance. I reverentially offer my prayers to the prophet and join my countrymen in celebrating this auspicious occasion,” he said.
The prime minister, in a separate message, said the festival of colours is part of the texture of life of our people belonging to diverse faiths and persuasions.
“The spontaneity, joy and liveliness associated with its celebration symbolises the spirit of togetherness and harmony. Let the riot of colour yet again affirm our positive spirit of brotherhood and bring peace, prosperity and happiness in our lives.”
- President, PM greet nation on Milad-un-Nabi (Lead) - Feb 04, 2012
- Mumbai celebrates Eid-e-Milad - Feb 05, 2012
- President, vice president greet nation on Milad-Un-Nabi - Feb 15, 2011
- President, prime minister greet nation on Eid (Lead) - Aug 30, 2011
- President, PM greet nation on Eid (Lead) - Aug 19, 2012
- President greets nation on Milad-un-Nabi and Holi - Mar 09, 2009
- President, PM, Sonia greet nation on Eid - Nov 06, 2011
- Holi, Eid-e-Milad are about brotherhood, harmony: Sonia - Mar 11, 2009
- President, vice president greet nation on Holi - Mar 18, 2011
- President, PM greet nation on Prophet's birthday (Lead) - Feb 26, 2010
- Vice President greets people on Milad-Un-Nabi - Feb 26, 2010
- President Patil greets nation on Milad-un-Nabi - Feb 26, 2010
- Prime Minister greets nation on Eid - Aug 30, 2011
- President, Vice President greet citizens on occasion of Christmas - Dec 24, 2010
- President Patil, Vice President Ansari greet people on Id-ul-Fitr - Sep 10, 2010
Tags: brotherhood of humanity, fellow human beings, festive spirit, hamid ansari, holi, joyful celebration, manmohan, manmohan singh, myriad colours, peace progress, president pratibha patil, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, prophet mohammed, social barriers, social fabric, spiritual strength, spiritual teachings, universal peace, vibrant culture