President calls for social movement for gender equalityApril 9th, 2011 - 6:37 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 9 (IANS) President Pratibha Patil Saturday called for a new social movement for gender equality and protecting the girl child.
Speaking here at the national launch of Nanhi Chhaan, a foundation working for protecting girl child and environment, Patil called for changing the social attitude towards women.
“We need a new social movement for gender equality that changes society’s attitude towards women and promotes an understanding, that women and men have a complementary and supplementary role to play,” the president said.
Calling dowry an evil responsible for the killing of girls, the president said: “It is high time that this is changed, and in this men and boys should take the lead.”
“We must focus on education and health of the girl children, as well as empowering her economically as financial freedom is a must,” she said.
The president stressed that the role of NGOs, along with the government, was very important in spreading awareness.
Appreciating the initiative which involves different religious institutions to sensitise communities about protecting the girl child and environment, the president said the girl child, trees and secularism were essential for the future.
According to the preliminary figures of Census 2011 released last week, child (0-6 years) sex ratio has reached an all time low of 914 females against 1,000 males. The child sex ratio was 927 females against 1,000 males in the 2001 census.
“Our girls who are mothers to mankind and trees which are Mother Earth’s most valuable gifts need our protection. In their survival lies the future prosperity of the planet. Our satyagraha (demand for truth) is to fight this malady that has become ominously rampant in our society,” chairman of Nanhi Chhaan and Fortis Healthcare Harpal Singh said after the launch.
- President concerned over declining sex ratio - Jan 14, 2012
- President Patil visits Amritsar to support save girl child campaign - Oct 06, 2010
- Combining faith with saving environment, girl child - Aug 01, 2010
- President Patil to Visit Amritsar to boost "Nanhi Chhaan" girl and tree campaign - Oct 04, 2010
- Need to fight bias against girl child: President - Aug 14, 2011
- Declining child sex ratio matter of concern: Tirath - Mar 31, 2011
- Dowry a curse, that's why girls are killed: President Patil - Oct 06, 2010
- Falling child sex ratio is national shame: PM - Apr 21, 2011
- No proposal to lift sex determination test ban: Plan panel - Nov 11, 2011
- India's population is 1.21 billion, gender imbalance worsens (Roundup) - Mar 31, 2011
- Sex ratio declining in Kashmir - Mar 20, 2012
- Declining sex ratio means we'll all become gays: Farooq - Apr 13, 2011
- Haryana community groups to fight female foeticide - Jan 09, 2010
- Declining child sex ratio alarms social scientists - Apr 01, 2011
- Orient policies for women, NAC tells government - May 29, 2012
Tags: child sex, dowry, financial freedom, fortis, fortis healthcare, gender equality, girl child, girl children, harpal singh, high time, malady, mother earth, national launch, president pratibha patil, religious institutions, secularism, sex ratio, society chairman, take the lead, women and men