Prehistoric island ‘Jurassic Parkette’ ruled by dwarf dinosaurs foundFebruary 21st, 2010 - 1:39 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb 21 (ANI): Paleontologists have discovered a prehistoric “lost world” which was ruled by miniature dinosaurs.
Sort of a pigmy Jurassic Park, the island was the hometown of dinos who were up to eight times smaller than some of their mainland cousins, reports The Telegraph.
Dwarf dinosaurs’ fossils were found in what is now modern day Romania, in an area known as Hateg, which, 65 million years ago - when the creatures were living there - was an island, reports The Telegraph.
One of the fossils was of Magyarosaurus, which was little bigger than a horse, but was related to some of the largest creatures to ever walk the Earth - gigantic titanosaurs such as Argentinosaurus, which reached up to 100 feet long and weighed around 80 tons.
Professor Michael Benton, from the University of Bristol, who carried out the research with scientists at the Universities of Bucharest and Bonn, said: “Most of the famous dinosaurs that we know about were living on big landmasses at the end of the Cretaceous period.
“The curious thing about Europe at this time was that it was largely covered by sea and much of Eastern Europe was a sort of archipelago of islands.
“If you are a big dinosaur on a small island with limited food and space, then the evolutionary pressure is either to go extinct or to get smaller.”
The findings will be published in the scientific journal Palaeogreography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology. (ANI)
- Dwarf dinos never really grew up at Neverland-like Island in Transylvania - Feb 12, 2010
- Chinese paleontologists discover large feathered dinosaur - Apr 06, 2012
- Researchers Elated By Discovery Of New Predatory Dinosaur In Romania - Aug 31, 2010
- Remains of plant-eating dinosaurs fround in Antartica - Dec 20, 2011
- Europe's biggest dinosaur skull found in Spain - Apr 04, 2012
- Pterosaurs were 10 times heavier than biggest birds: Study - Jan 19, 2011
- It's official: Magyarosaurus dacus was a dwarf dinosaur - May 04, 2010
- Tiny fossil part reveals biggest-ever toothed pterosaur - Oct 16, 2011
- For 80mn years, Tyrannosaurs were the size of humans - Sep 17, 2010
- Meet quaint hunchback dino from 130 mn years ago - Sep 10, 2010
- 'Stocky dragon' dino was a terrifying predator of Late Cretaceous Europe - Aug 31, 2010
- 140-150 mn-year-old dinosaur footprints found in Beijing - Jan 09, 2012
- Dwarfed horned dinos may have migrated from Asia to Europe - May 27, 2010
- Scientists discover bizzare horned dinos on 'lost continent' in Utah - Sep 23, 2010
- Plant-eating dinosaur with largest horns unearthed - May 29, 2010
Tags: 65 million years, archipelago, argentinosaurus, bucharest, cretaceous period, curious thing, dinos, eight times, evolutionary pressure, fossils, hateg, jurassic park, london feb, lost world, miniature dinosaurs, paleontologists, pigmy, prehistoric island, professor michael, university of bristol