Prehistoric fishing tackle found in EgyptMay 13th, 2009 - 12:55 pm ICT by ANI
Abu Dhabi, May 13 (ANI): An Egyptian archaeological team has found prehistoric fishing gear, sewing equipment and jewellery all made from animal bones, as well as pottery and coins, near an oasis south of Cairo.
“An Egyptian archaeological mission working near El-Karn island on Lake Qarun in Fayoum has found a large amount of fishing tackle, sewing equipment and jewellery made from animal bone dating back to prehistoric time,” Culture Minister Faruk Hosni told Khaleej Times Online.
“The mission also found caves used by prehistoric man,” he said.
“The most important item is an awl made of animal bone and granite, which shows that prehistoric man devised many ways to sew leather,” Khaled Saad, who headed the mission, was quoted as saying.
The team also found ancient pottery, coins, whale vertebrae and fossils of seals, sawfish as well as crocodile and turtle parts, Saad added.
“Medical equipment and weapons made of animal bone were also unearthed,” he said.
The site was used by many civilizations, antiquities chief Zahi Hawass was quoted as saying.
“During excavation, the mission found antiquities from the Pharaonic, Greek, Roman and Islamic periods,” Hawass said.
The team also found a rare block which dates back to 3150 BC depicting the mythical leader known as the Scorpion King, as well as colourful mosaic plates with engravings of the Fatimid caliph Al-Zafir. (ANI)
- Prehistoric whale skeletons found in Egypt - Jul 10, 2010
- Egypt discovers 2,000-year-old bronze coins - Apr 23, 2010
- 57 ancient tombs found in Egypt - May 24, 2010
- Egypt to re-open its historical sites on Sunday - Feb 18, 2011
- China began cultivating millet 10,000 years ago - Oct 16, 2011
- Artefacts stolen from Egypt's national museum - Feb 13, 2011
- Swiss museum to return 4,000-year-old relic to Egypt - May 13, 2011
- Sophisticated human behavior found half-million years earlier than previously thought - Dec 23, 2009
- Egyptian Supreme Council For Antiquities Unearths 2000 Year Old Coins - Apr 25, 2010
- Ancient bakery discovered in Egyptian Desert - Aug 26, 2010
- 4,000 yrs old brightly painted mummies found in Egypt necropolis - Apr 14, 2009
- Egypt museum treasures being repaired - Feb 08, 2011
- Archaeologists uncover ancient Roman bath in Syria - Oct 18, 2009
- A sneak-peak into marriage, chores, careers and divorce in ancient Egypt - Jul 09, 2010
- Ancient Roman settlement unearthed in west London - Nov 17, 2010
Tags: ancient pottery, animal bone, animal bones, archaeological mission, archaeological team, culture minister, fatimid, fayoum, fishing gear, islamic periods, karn, khaleej times, pharaonic, prehistoric man, prehistoric time, qarun, scorpion king, sewing equipment, whale vertebrae, zafir