Pregnant women ’should routinely take vitamin D supplements’July 4th, 2010 - 1:11 pm ICT by ANI
London, July 4 (ANI): Pregnant women should take vitamin D supplements on a daily basis, say researchers in the UK.
According to the team at University College London Institute of Child Health, official bodies currently offer conflicting advice.
The Department of Health in the UK suggests pregnant women to ensure they receive a certain level of vitamin D - 10 micrograms per day.
The researchers say this in effect endorses use of supplements, because diet and the sun provide too little.
But the National Institute of health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) said in its guidance that it did not support supplements.
It has instead said that women should simply ‘be informed’ about the importance of having adequate vitamin D levels during their pregnancy and while breastfeeding.
The paper said the UK was the only one of 31 countries examined which did not recommend that women of reproductive age took a vitamin D supplement, and that it also fails to endorse a daily supplement for expectant mothers.
“The incidence of vitamin D deficiency in pregnant women in Britain is unacceptably high, especially during winter and spring,” the BBC quoted Dr Elina Hypponen, co-author of the paper, as saying.
“This is compounded by a lack of exposure to sunlight and the limitations of an average diet to meet the optimal need.
“In the most severe cases, maternal vitamin D deficiency can be life threatening to a newborn.
“We believe that the routine provision of a daily supplement throughout pregnancy would significantly decrease the number of mothers who are clearly vitamin D deficient, reducing related serious risks to their babies,” Hypponen added.
The researchers reported the paper in the British Journal of Nutrition. (ANI)
- Pregnant women should be given vitamin D supplements - Jul 05, 2010
- Vitamin D safe for healthy pregnant women - Jun 29, 2011
- Large dose of vitamin D in pregnancy cuts premature births - May 02, 2010
- Vitamin D pills advised for under-fives to avoid rickets - Jan 27, 2011
- Vitamin D deficiency linked to wide array of diseases - Aug 24, 2010
- 'Sunshine vitamin' can help beat cancer, heart disease - Aug 16, 2010
- Obese adolescents benefit from high-dose vitamin D - Nov 02, 2011
- Low Vitamin D levels during pregnancy may affect kid's speech - Feb 15, 2012
- Vitamin supplements 'reduce incidence of measles and diarrhoea' - Dec 08, 2010
- Vitamin D supplements can prevent preterm labor/births - May 01, 2010
- Vitamin deficiency after weight loss op 'can cause vision loss in infants' - Jul 17, 2010
- Vitamin C deficiency may impair newborn babies' mental development - Sep 03, 2009
- Pregnancy stress can affect baby's iron status: Study - Apr 30, 2012
- Vitamin D can help you tide over a bleak winter - Mar 09, 2010
- Vitamin D, sun exposure cuts breast cancer risk - Dec 12, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,