Pranab Mukherjee meets MusharrafMay 21st, 2008 - 2:43 pm ICT by admin
By Naveen Kapoor
Islamabad, May 21 (ANI): Visiting Indian External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee met President Pervez Musharraf here today.
Later, Mukherjee will attend Indo-Pakistan Foreign Ministers meeting where he will hold discussions with his Pakistani counterpart Shah Mahmood Qureshi.
Qureshi and Mukherjee are expected to act on the recommendations made by their respective Foreign Secretaries.
Mukherjee is expected to brief Pakistan’s new leaders about New Delhi’s expectations on issues such terror, economic cooperation and cross-border infiltration, besides other topics of mutual interest to the two countries.
A press conference is scheduled to be held at 4:00 p.m. and will be followed by a meeting between Mukherjee and Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani.
Besides, Mukherjee is expected to meet former Prime Minister and PML-N leader Nawaz Sharif, PPP Co-Chairman Asif Ali Zardari and Asfayandar Wali Khan the Chief of the Awani National Party (ANP).
Mukherjee’s visit to Pakistan is the first high-level contact between the two countries since the newly formed democratic government assumed office in Islamabad after securing victory in the February 18 general elections.
Although Mukherjee has said that his trip to Pakistan is a goodwill visit and he is not going with any fixed agenda or expectation, the All India Radio has said that cross border terrorism, peace and security and growing incidents of infiltration will be high on the agenda.
No major breakthroughs are expected on their main dispute over Kashmir, but
Pakistani analysts hope the talks might set the stage for a visit by Indian
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
The talks are the first high-level contact between the two sides since February 2007, when Mukherjee travelled to Pakistan. (ANI)
- Pranab Mukherjee to meet Musharraf today - May 21, 2008
- Krishna says nothing spectacular expected from India-Pakistan talks - Jun 24, 2010
- Krishna leaves for Pakistan amid concerns and hopes - Jul 14, 2010
- India, Pakistan begin talks; terror, Kashmir on agenda (Lead) - Jun 24, 2010
- India, Pakistan to announce CBMs on Kashmir, nuclear issues - Jul 08, 2011
- Pakistan, US to hold talks on new terms of engagement - Apr 17, 2012
- Qureshi to come to India in first quarter of 2011 - Oct 15, 2010
- Mukherjee arrives in Pakistan for talks - May 20, 2008
- India, Pakistan to 'unlock' dialogue process in Thimphu - Jan 28, 2011
- New visa regime to top India-Pakistan talks - Sep 05, 2012
- Krishna's visit: India, Pakistan to spur cross-border trade - Aug 14, 2012
- Environment good for boosting India-Pakistan trade: Gilani - Feb 16, 2012
- India to press Pakistan for anti-terror action - Jun 24, 2010
- Krishna arrives in Pakistan amid concern and hope (Lead, Changing Dateline) - Jul 14, 2010
- India, Pakistan to hold trust-building talks Thursday - Jun 23, 2010
Tags: all india radio, asif ali zardari, external affairs minister, external affairs minister pranab mukherjee, former prime minister, general elections, gileconomic cooperation, goodwill visit, indian prime minister, indian prime minister manmohan singh, manmohan singh, nawaz sharif, pervez musharraf, pml n, pranab mukherjee, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, shah mahmood, wali khan