Power supply disruption in KolkataApril 19th, 2009 - 10:08 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, April 19 (IANS) Power supply was snapped in the city causing a breakdown in normal life on a hot and humid Sunday evening in the West Bengal capital.
Hospitals, Metro railway services, media houses and all other essential services were affected following a major technical snag in a receiving station of power utility CCESC at 4.40 p.m.
All four generating stations of the CCESC tripped, a spokesman of the power utility told IANS.
The essential services were restored by 6 p.m though large parts of the city continued plunged in darkness.
It was an unbearable Sunday for the city people as the power crisis came on a day of sweltering heat and high humidity with the maximum temperature hovering around 41 degrees Celsius.
- Snag leaves Metro commuters stranded in tunnel - Jun 07, 2011
- Drizzle Saturday evening gives Delhi respite (Second lead) - Jun 02, 2012
- Large parts of Mumbai plunge into darkness - Nov 18, 2010
- Power restored in most of north Mumbai (Lead) - Nov 18, 2010
- Darkness in large parts of Kolkata as power stations trip - Jul 02, 2010
- No power: Kashmir valley freezes in darkness - Jan 08, 2012
- Chilly day in Delhi, dense fog hits train traffic (Second Lead) - Dec 23, 2011
- Hot day for Delhi, light rains expected - Jul 02, 2012
- Auto strike, Metro 'snag' hit Delhiites - May 20, 2011
- Cloudy day in Delhi, rains expected Sunday (Lead) - Jul 14, 2012
- Wet day in Delhi, more rains in store Friday (Second Lead) - Aug 04, 2011
- Snag on Metro's Gurgaon line affects services, rectified (Lead) - Aug 19, 2011
- Technical snag disrupts Metro line for an hour (Lead) - Nov 29, 2010
- Delhi Metro to begin operations at 2 p.m. on Holi - Mar 05, 2012
- Metro services to be curtailed on R-Day - Jan 23, 2012
Tags: ccesc, darkness, essential services, generating stations, high humidity, hospitals, kolkata, maximum temperature, media houses, metro railway, power crisis, power supply, railway services, receiving station, spokesman, sunday evening, supply disruption, sweltering heat, technical snag, west bengal