Power Plate exercise may help fight the flabMay 12th, 2009 - 1:37 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, May 12 (ANI): Doing exercise on Power Plate - a vibrating exercise machine, and consuming a healthy diet may help people lose weight and trim harmful belly fat, according to a new study.
In the study, researchers at the University of Antwerp, Belgium, found that overweight or obese people who regularly undertook Power Plate exercise were more successful at long-term weight loss and shedding visceral or belly fat than those who combined dieting with a more conventional fitness routine and those who simply dieted.
The study was carried out over a six-month period, after which subjects returned to their daily lives and reported back for retesting at 12 months.
In terms of weight loss, the Power Plate group lost 11 percent of their body weight and maintained a 10.5 percent loss.
The diet and conventional fitness group lost 7 percent and maintained a 6.9 percent loss.
The diet only group lost 6 percent, and maintained less than 5 percent loss
Even more promising was the reduction of visceral fat. The Power Plate group lost 47.8 sq. cm. (18.8 in.), and maintained a loss of 47.7 sq. cm (18.7 in.)
The diet and conventional fitness group lost only 17.6 sq. cm. (6.93 in.), and maintained only a 1.6 sq. cm (.63 in) loss.
The diet only group lost 24.3 sq. cm. (9.57 in.) and maintained only 7.5 sq. cm. (2.95 in.) loss.
The new research has been presented at the 17th European Congress on Obesity (ECO). (ANI)
- Vibration plate machines may help weight loss, trim abdominal fat - May 09, 2009
- Diet and exercise 'more effective for weight loss when combined' - Apr 15, 2011
- Hit the gym to maintain health gains after weight loss - Sep 23, 2010
- Try sprinting to shed belly fat - Jul 01, 2012
- Minimising fat with more exercise easy way to shed weight - May 07, 2012
- alli may help reduce dangerous fat - Jan 28, 2010
- Exercise prevents regain of harmful fat one year after weight loss - Oct 29, 2009
- Clinical trials show effective weight loss strategies for obese - Oct 10, 2010
- Weight loss helps boost low testosterone levels - Jun 26, 2012
- Cutting back on sleep 'cuts dieting benefits' - Oct 05, 2010
- Your bodies resist weight loss efforts - Jun 24, 2011
- Diet, exercise combination best way to lose weight - Apr 15, 2011
- Destressing helps curb obesity among women - Dec 08, 2011
- Weight loss supplements are no good - Mar 07, 2012
- Lose weight post-pregnancy - but don't rush it - Jun 15, 2012
Tags: 12 months, cm 2, european congress on obesity, exercise machine, fitness group, fitness routine, flab, healthy diet, long term weight loss, power plate exercise, study researchers, university of antwerp, university of antwerp belgium