Poverty forces Bengal mother to sell child for Rs.2000May 22nd, 2012 - 6:24 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, May 22 (IANS) Unable to take care of her seven-month-old child due to extreme poverty, a mother in West Bengal’s Nadia district sold her infant to a meat seller for Rs.2000.
Rinku Das, a recently widowed mother of two from Krishnanagar in Nadia district which is some 105 km from Kolkata, said she was compelled to sell her second child - a girl - as she found it difficult to take care of her.
“I do not have a livelihood. Whatever I had, is already sold. It had become very difficult for me to feed myself and the children. So, I sold my younger child for Rs. 2000,” said Das.
Das sold the child to Madhav Saha, her neighbour and a meat seller. Saha, who is childless, was happy to accept the child.
“Yes, I bought the baby for Rs.2000. I do not have a child and I am very happy to get her,” Das said.
Though police have not arrested them, they called both Das and Saha and asked the mother to take back the child.
“It is illegal to sell the baby. We know it is difficult for the mother to take care of the child. But for the welfare of the baby, it is necessary that she stays with her mother,” said an officer of Krishnanagar police station.
“Though Das was willing to take back her child, Saha has been reluctant and coaxing us to allow him to keep the baby,” the officer added.
- Kerala woman sells baby for Rs.5,000, booked - Aug 19, 2010
- Stolen as infant, back as teen: Kashmiri twin's tale (Feature) - Sep 25, 2011
- Young women prefer career, lifestyle to family life - Sep 15, 2011
- For baby, everything's on the backburner: Lara Dutta (Interview) - Sep 03, 2012
- Norway case rerun: Curbs on Indian couple meeting son in US - Sep 09, 2012
- S.M. Krishna asked to help NRI couple get back child - Sep 10, 2012
- Two women held for stealing baby - Dec 30, 2011
- 2,000 Haiti quake orphans sold as sex slaves - Jan 10, 2011
- Bullied teen undergoes plastic surgery to stop name-calling - Aug 10, 2012
- Poor woman in Bihar sells child for Rs.62, cops begin probe - Jul 15, 2012
- When a rural health centre works, it works wonders (Feature) - Oct 20, 2011
- Chinese toddler who fell out of 10th floor window remains in coma - Jul 08, 2011
- Amid rain, Kashmiris hit shopping high for Eid - Nov 05, 2011
- Duff joins Johnson for charity project - Apr 14, 2012
- Mother throws baby from ninth floor - Aug 29, 2012