Popular energy shots nothing but ‘caffeinated, sour tasting water’January 31st, 2011 - 12:09 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Jan 31 (ANI): Experts have said that the latest ‘energy- shots’ that seem to have caught everyone’s fancy may be nothing but slightly caffeinated, sour-tasting water.
They said that the four-dollar a bottle drinks create nothing but a placebo effect.
The drink makers are not required to list how much caffeine they contain, nor does the law require them to be FDA approved.
“They don’t have to prove safety or efficacy, so you have no idea if what it says on the labels is true. You have no idea what you’re actually drinking or how much caffeine you’re ingesting. It’s a crap shoot,” the New York Post quoted NYU nutritionist Marion Nestle as saying.
A Stacker2 6-Hour Power spokeswoman responded, “Listing the caffeine is not necessary. The energy you receive is not just from caffeine, it comes from the proprietary blend as a whole.”
Some consumers said that they haven’t felt any difference whatsoever from the drinks.
“It doesn’t do anything for me. A cup of coffee works better,” said Mirian Aguilar, 24, a saleswoman who admitted trying 5-hour Energy when she’s dragging.
The drink labels purport to provide 2,000 percent of the daily dose of vitamin B6 and up to 8,666 percent of vitamin B12 — claims that nutritionists dismissed as bogus at best and harmful at worst.
Too much B6 can lead to nerve damage in the arms and legs, said nutritionist Marissa Lippert. (ANI)
- Nutraceuticals in energy drinks, foods - Mar 20, 2011
- What Sort Of Vitamins Do Men Need? - Jan 05, 2011
- High caffeine energy 'shots' harmful for youngsters - Jun 03, 2010
- Watch your diet, you multi-tasking women! (March 8 is International Women's Day) - Mar 06, 2012
- Teens, stay away from energy drinks - Jan 19, 2012
- The latest drink and drive warning- but this time it's for coffee - Jan 07, 2011
- Gwyneth Paltrow's fitness secret - detox - Nov 22, 2010
- 'Dangerous' energy drinks 'can leave children hospitalised' - Feb 15, 2011
- Beat the summer - sleep well, eat well for glowing skin - Apr 18, 2012
- Tests on energy drinks soon, BJP activists told - Jul 25, 2011
- Love of coffee could hook you on drugs - Oct 11, 2011
- Study blasts the idea of giving energy drinks to kids - May 31, 2011
- Energy drinks 'pose serious threat to kids' health' - Jul 27, 2010
- Highly-caffeinated energy drinks may pose 'high' health risks - Jan 27, 2011
- Mega-sized coffee, energy drinks 'laden with excess sugar, calories' - Feb 04, 2011
Tags: aguilar, arms and legs, coffee works, crap, cup of coffee, daily dose, drinks, efficacy, labels, marion nestle, nerve damage, new york post, nutritionist, nyu, placebo effect, proprietary blend, saleswoman, spokeswoman, vitamin b12, vitamin b6