Popping HIV pill ‘cuts risk of infection by 44pc’November 24th, 2010 - 12:18 pm ICT by ANI
London, Nov 24 (ANI): A new study called iPrEx has shown that use of HIV medications reduces the risk of infection in uninfected people by 44 percent.
The study is the first evidence that this new HIV prevention method, called pre-exposure prophylaxis or PrEP, reduces the risk of infection in people.
All study participants received a comprehensive package of prevention services designed to reduce their risk of HIV infection throughout the trial, including HIV testing, intensive safer sex counselling, condoms and treatment and care for sexually transmitted infections.
Half of study participants also received the PrEP pill, while the other half received a placebo.
The average reduction in HIV infection risk of 43.8 percent included all study participants - even those who did not take the daily pill consistently.
The iPrEx study found that PrEP was more protective among those who reported taking the pill more regularly.
“The iPrEx study proves that PrEP provides important additional protection against HIV when offered with other prevention methods such as HIV testing, counseling, condom use and management of sexually transmitted infections,” said iPrEx Protocol Chair Robert Grant.
“As with other prevention methods, the greatest protection comes with consistent use. I hope this finding inspires a renewed commitment from communities, industry and government to stop the spread of HIV,” he added.
The study was published in the New England Journal of Medicine. (ANI)
- Lubricant use with anal sex may raise HIV risk - May 26, 2010
- Latest Aids Pill Undergoing Trial Could Be The Next Medical Revolution - Apr 06, 2010
- State of the ART of microbicides to prevent HIV - May 24, 2010
- Single program to prevent HIV transmission - Jan 21, 2010
- First ever pill to beat HIV under FDA consideration - May 10, 2012
- An AIDS Vaccine is Possible - May 18, 2010
- New hope in fight against HIV, TB - May 21, 2010
- 'Funds needed urgently to capitalise on HIV breakthroughs' - Jul 24, 2011
- US approves drug to prevent HIV infection - Jul 17, 2012
- HIV project saved 100,000 in India from infection: Study - Oct 11, 2011
- Men reach orgasm after vaginal intercourse while women with oral sex - Oct 04, 2010
- Heterosexual HIV 'in China aggravated by unprotected sex, drugs' - Nov 09, 2010
- IAS urges Pope to strongly support condom use - Nov 24, 2010
- Uganda to test pill to prevent HIV infection - Sep 20, 2008
- Microbicide trial results signal end of one chapter, focus turns to promising ARV-based candidates - Dec 14, 2009
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,