Pope denounces gay marriageMarch 10th, 2012 - 6:12 pm ICT by IANS
London, March 10 (IANS) Pope Benedict XVI has denounced gay weddings, terming them as “powerful political and cultural currents seeking to alter the legal definition of marriage”.
The pope urged US bishops visiting Vatican City to emphasise to their church that premarital sex and cohabitation was “gravely sinful” and “damaging to the stability of society”, BBC reported.
The pope’s comments came shortly after the US states of Washington and Maryland legalised same-sex marriages.
“Sexual differences cannot be dismissed as irrelevant to the definition of marriage,” the pope said.
He, however, acknowledged that his point of view may sound “counter-cultural”, especially to young people.
But he said bishops should do what they could to ensure traditional marriage would be “defended from every possible misrepresentation of their true nature”.
- Unite to oppose gay marriage: Pope's envoy asks Muslims, Jews - Apr 28, 2012
- 'Gay marriage worst threat in 500 years' - Jun 13, 2012
- Vatican condemns China-sponsored ordination - Nov 25, 2010
- Vatican urges prudence in assessing WikiLeaks documents - Dec 14, 2010
- Pope deplores raids on Belgian bishops - Jun 28, 2010
- Pope accepts "humiliation" on abuse of minors by priests - Dec 21, 2010
- Priests' sex abuse is 'weakness of sin', says Pope - May 28, 2010
- Syro-Malabar Church leader elevated to Cardinal - Jan 06, 2012
- British schools to teach kids about gay marriage - Feb 27, 2012
- Pope Benedict XVI wraps up his visit to Spain - Aug 22, 2011
- Pope Benedict XVI Says Not Everyone Has Right To Marry - Jan 23, 2011
- Church is learning to live in global world, says Pope - May 12, 2010
- Pope calls for Church to reflect on what led to abuse - Dec 21, 2010
- Leaked memo will not affect Pope's Britain visit: Vatican - Apr 26, 2010
- Pope accepts bishop's resignation over sex scandal - Mar 25, 2010
Tags: bbc, benedict xvi, bishops, currents, gay marriage, gay weddings, london march, marriage, misrepresentation, point of view, pope benedict, pope benedict xvi, premarital sex, same sex marriages, sexual differences, traditional marriage, true nature, vatican, vatican city