Pope Benedict XVI launches YouTube channelJanuary 24th, 2009 - 2:28 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jan 24 (ANI): The Vatican has launched a YouTube channel devoted to the Pope in a bid to target online audiences and spread the teachings of the Catholic Church.
Also, the Holy See revealed that it is planning to give Pope Benedict XVI a Facebook profile.
YouTube will showcase clips of the 81-year-old Pontiff in a renewed effort to engage with the tech-savy generation, reports the Telegraph.
“We are convinced that there are people interested in the pope’’s message and that they, in their search for the meaning of life, are among the many who surf the web. It is for them that we have opened a YouTube channel,” said chief Vatican spokesman Father Federico Lombardi.
The Vatican, however, had not paid Google, YouTube owners, to launch the channel.
“We didn”t pay a cent to Google,” Father Lombardi said, adding that the channel was the Vatican’’s “offer” to the world.
The Pope’’s debut on the site “writes a new page in the history of the Holy See”, the Vatican’’s website said.
The Vatican will update the YouTube site with the most important papal news items of the day, with messages available in Italian, German, English and Spanish. (ANI)
- Pope Benedict's butler to face trial for stealing letters - Aug 13, 2012
- Pope signs letter on child abuse cases in Ireland - Mar 19, 2010
- Pope 'truly sorry' for sexual abuse by Irish priests - Mar 20, 2010
- Pope blesses worshippers via Twitter - Feb 24, 2012
- Leaked memo will not affect Pope's Britain visit: Vatican - Apr 26, 2010
- Pope posts appeal for new generation on YouTube - Jan 24, 2009
- Pope Benedict XVI wraps up his visit to Spain - Aug 22, 2011
- Vatican is trying to save Iranian woman - Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani from her stoning ordeal - Sep 06, 2010
- Pope will soon become a Facebooker - May 20, 2009
- Sex abuse scandal overshadows Pope's British trip - Sep 14, 2010
- Pope 'well' after being knocked down (Second Lead) - Dec 25, 2009
- Sex abuse victims meet Vatican spokesman - Nov 02, 2010
- Vatican to take legal action against Benetton advertisement - Nov 18, 2011
- Pope to launch YouTube channel - Jan 19, 2009
- Papal emissary visits woman who attacked Benedict - Jan 03, 2010
Tags: audiences, benedict xvi, catholic church, federico lombardi, german english, google, italian german, jan 24, london jan, meaning of life, news items, pontiff, pope benedict, pope benedict xvi, savy, showcase, telegraph, vatican, vatican spokesman, youtube