Pooches bred for looking attractive lose mental biteJanuary 18th, 2009 - 5:06 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jan 18 (ANI): Pet owners desire for attractive-looking dogs has led to a decline in intelligence of the pooches, according to Swedish scientists.
Researchers have suggested that breeding modern dogs for their appearance has eroded the mental agility and alertness of the working breeds from which they are descended.
The behaviour expected of them is to be friendly and docile at home, rather than alert and aggressive outside, reports Times Online.
Kenth Svartberg, author of the Swedish research, said the changes in intelligence had happened over just a few generations.
Modern breeding practices are affecting the behaviour and mental abilities of pedigree breeds as well as their physical features, he said.
Researchers believe that many breeders concentrate on outward aspects and ignoring the mental qualities of dogs to appeal to modern pet owners and the dog shows that dictate the characteristics of pure breeds.
To reach the conclusion, Svartberg, who carried out his research at Stockholm University, gave 10 tests to 13,000 dogs to rate 31 breeds on characteristics such as sociability and curiosity.
He found that, in general, animals that were bred for appearance, and especially for shows, displayed reduced levels of all these qualities. (ANI)
- No dog is a dud, just a mismatch with its owner: Expert - Sep 14, 2010
- American Kennel Club Recognizes Three New Breeds - Jan 29, 2011
- Rooting for the underdog! (Feature) - Sep 25, 2011
- Border collies top list of smartest pooches, Afghans dumbest - Sep 07, 2010
- Hostel for pooches in Bihar to ease dog owners' worries - Nov 13, 2009
- Dogs pay close attention to human signals - May 06, 2012
- Hitler dog advert cleared as 'not offensive' - Mar 25, 2010
- Government frames rules on dog breeding, sale - Jun 09, 2010
- Dogs overtaking cats as UK's favourite pet - Apr 03, 2011
- Sleeping with your pooch may be injurious to your health - Jan 22, 2011
- Mariah Carey hires dog shrink to ready dogs for twin babies' arrival - Mar 15, 2011
- Dogs aggressive gene can be bred out of them - Dec 22, 2008
- Dog breeding- a high profit business in Jaipur - Mar 18, 2010
- Pet dogs in Britain to be microchipped - Apr 24, 2011
- Kashmir's Bakharwal dog could be gone in four years (Feature) - Apr 26, 2012
Tags: alertness, appearance, curiosity, decline, desire, dog shows, dogs, generations, intelligence, london jan, mental abilities, mental agility, mental qualities, pedigree breeds, pet owners, physical features, sociability, stockholm university, swedish research, swedish scientists