Pomegranate juice ‘helps prevent prostate cancer recurrence’April 27th, 2009 - 1:21 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Apr 27 (ANI): Pomegranate juice could help prevent prostate cancer recurrence, finds a new study.
During the study, the researchers followed a total of 48 participants over six years. These patients were asked to drinking eight ounces of pomegranate juice daily.
The participants had a rising PSA after surgery or radiotherapy, a PSA greater than 0.2 ng/ml and less than five ng/ml and a Gleason score of seven or less.
The men who remained in the study experienced a significant increase in PSA doubling time following treatment, from a mean of 15.4 months to 60 months, researchers said.
“This study suggests that pomegranate juice may effectively slow the progression of prostate cancer after unsuccessful treatment,” said Dr Christopher Amling, an AUA spokesman.
“This finding and other ongoing research might one day reveal that pomegranate juice is an effective prostate cancer preventative agent as well.”
The study results were presented at the 104th Annual Scientific Meeting of the American Urological Association (AUA). (ANI)
- PSA test more reliable in men taking prostate-shrinking drug - Dec 18, 2010
- Change in PSA level poor predictor of prostate cancer - Feb 25, 2011
- Aspirin reduces risk of cancer recurrence in prostate cancer patients - May 03, 2011
- Pomegranate juice could be key to new cancer therapies - Dec 13, 2010
- Capsule coffee 'contains high levels of carcinogenic substance' - Apr 14, 2011
- New method detects aggressive prostate cancer - Aug 09, 2012
- Low oxygen levels in prostate tumours can help predict odds of cancer recurrence - May 16, 2009
- Combo therapy of vitamin E, selenium, soy doesn't prevent prostate cancer - Apr 27, 2009
- Drinking 100-pc fruit juice 'as healthy as eating whole fruits' - Apr 12, 2011
- Cholesterol drug could treat prostate cancer - Sep 21, 2010
- New test accurately detects aggressive prostate cancer - Apr 07, 2011
- Robot-assisted surgery to remove cancerous prostate glands is safe - Mar 24, 2011
- High vitamin D levels may not reduce frailty risk in older women - Dec 09, 2010
- Pomegranate juice could ease workplace stress - Jun 06, 2011
- MRI can help locate prostate cancer recurrence at extremely low PSA levels - Apr 30, 2011
Tags: 4 months, american urological association, doubling time, dr christopher, gleason score, ml, ongoing research, participants, pomegranate juice, prostate cancer, prostate cancer recurrence, psa, six years, spokesman, study suggests that, unsuccessful treatment