Polio rears its head again in western Uttar PradeshJuly 28th, 2008 - 11:29 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, July 28 (IANS) Uttar Pradesh health authorities will launch special rounds of the polio eradication drive, especially in Badaun and its adjoining district, after the reappearance of the highly infectious polio strain virus - P1 - for the second time, officials said Monday. Meenakshi Thakur, a 14-month old girl of Badaun, has tested positive for the P1 polio strain. A month and a half earlier, a 12-year-old girl from the same district was found afflicted by the same strain.
“With the re-emergence of the P1 strain we have decided to launch special drives in Badaun and its adjoining districts, including Bareilly and Saharanpur,” regional team leader of the World Health Organisation’s National Polio Surveillance Project S.K. Parthyarch told IANS.
The special drives will help control the transmission of the virus to a considerable extent, he added.
Meenakshi’s case is the second in Uttar Pradesh and the eighth in the country this year, officials said.
Health officials attribute the re-emergence of the virus to the unhygienic conditions in parts of the district. The officials said Meenakshi, who was vaccinated against polio, caught the infection as she was ill. “Probably, during illness the immunity of Meenakshi was lowered and her body could not counter the virus attack,” reasoned Parthyarch.
- Bihar reported no polio case in last one year - Sep 12, 2011
- Bivalent polio vaccine launched in Delhi, Uttar Pradesh - Feb 07, 2010
- Families refuse polio drops in Bihar - Sep 21, 2011
- Highly infectious polio strain re-appears in Uttar Pradesh - Jun 12, 2008
- Bihar set to win battle against polio - Jul 29, 2010
- WHO finds polio virus in Delhi sewage - Feb 15, 2011
- Bivalent polio vaccine to be administered in Delhi - Feb 05, 2010
- Huge response for Meerut polio rally - Jan 22, 2011
- Faltering on polio, Pakistan looks at India lesson - Mar 02, 2012
- Polio under control but India aims at eradication: Azad - Oct 23, 2011
- 49 new polio cases detected in Bihar - Aug 24, 2009
- After polio, Bihar targets kala azar - Jan 30, 2012
- 2011 crucial for India to eradicate polio: WHO - Oct 24, 2011
- Bad weather forces Uttar Pradesh governor's plane to land - Jun 17, 2010
- India determined to eradicate polio: minister - Dec 09, 2011
Tags: bareilly, emergence, health authorities, health officials, immunity, lucknow, meenakshi, month and a half, old girl, p1, polio, polio eradication, polio surveillance, regional team, surveillance project, team leader, time officials, virus attack, western uttar pradesh, world health organisation