Police officer elated after getting vehicle used by KarkareFebruary 4th, 2011 - 11:58 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Feb 4 (IANS) A senior police officer in Mumbai Friday willingly accepted a vehicle allotted to his police station in which former Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) chief Hemant Karkare was killed and which was considered “jinxed” by the entire city police force.The senior police inspector at Pydhoni police station, Shamsher Khan Pathan, was so pleased by the development that he immediately took a round in the vehicle - a Toyota Qualis with registration no. MH 01 BA 569 - soon after it was allotted by the motor transport department of Mumbai Police.
“I am proud to be allotted with this vehicle. When I travel in this vehicle, I will feel the presence of Karkare sa’ab and Ashok Kamte sa’ab as guiding me to do my duty the way they did,” said an elated Pathan.
Pathan said it would be an honour for him if he too got killed while doing his duty. “It won’t be death, but immortality for me,” he said.
“This vehicle is now for my police station, till I am here and I will never let it go,” he added.
The police car, on the night of 26/11 terror attack, carried seven of Mumbai’s senior police officers while they chased Mohammed Ajmal Kasab and Abu Ismail.
On the night of Nov 26, 2008, Karkare along with then additional commissioner of police Ashok Kamte and then police inspector Vijay Salaskar and others were on their way to Cama Hospital when the vehicle was attacked by Kasab and Ismail. All the three officers were killed.
The vehicle has now been redone with a fresh body, paint and a GPS system, but has found no takers as it is believed to be jinxed.
The vehicle has been ready to use for three months. As no police station wanted to be allotted with the same, it was used for doing odd jobs.
“A vehicle allotted to my police station has not been functioning properly for a few months. I had given a requisition for a new vehicle some days back. When I reminded the deputy commissioner of police of the motor transport department, I was immediately allotted this Qualis,” Pathan said.
“I am going to use it till I die. In fact, I would feel proud to be able to do what Karkare sa’ab did for the city and this vehicle will be a constant reminder of the sacrifices of the officers slain during the 26/11 attack,” he added.
- From Colaba to Chowpatty - retracing Kasab's footsteps on 26/11 - May 03, 2010
- Mumbai attack victims demand capital punishment for Kasab - May 05, 2010
- 'Perverse' 26/11 attacker Kasab's death penalty upheld for attacking Indian state (Intro Roundup) - Feb 21, 2011
- Mumbai MP asserts Karkare killed by Pakistani terrorists - Dec 12, 2010
- Kasab smiled as court upheld his death sentence (Second Lead) - Feb 21, 2011
- Two railway cops honoured for gallantry on 26/11 - Jan 25, 2010
- Mumbai prosecutor Nikam demands death sentence for Kasab - May 04, 2010
- 26/11 attacker Kasab's death penalty upheld (Roundup) - Feb 21, 2011
- Kasab continues to be in denial mode over 26/11 - Dec 21, 2009
- Mumbai court to hear arguments, may sentence Kasab today - May 04, 2010
- People in Allahabad salute 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks martyrs - Nov 25, 2009
- Mumbai court charges Kasab with waging war against India - May 03, 2010
- Kasab's quantum of punishment to be decided on May 6 - May 04, 2010
- Mumbai Police files case to find Karkare's missing jacket - Dec 08, 2009
- Kasab: He first took to crime, then to jehad - Aug 29, 2012
Tags: ajmal, ashok, body paint, city police, commissioner of police, deputy commissioner, entire city, gps system, kasab, motor transport, odd jobs, pathan, police car, police inspector, police station, redone, requisition, terror attack, toyota qualis, transport department