PM warns against growing intoleranceJune 2nd, 2012 - 3:07 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, June 2 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Saturday warned against “growing intolerance” among Indians and said public debate seemed to have become a “hostage to sensationalism”.
“In recent times, I have been observing a growing intolerance among our people of dissent and opinions that contradict the prevailing orthodoxy,” the prime minister said here.
“Public debate is often hostage to sensationalism,” he added.
Manmohan Singh said this in a speech after being named General President of the Indian Science Congress Association (ISCA).
“I sometimes fear that a growing culture of narrow mindedness might affect the creative, innovative and imaginative instincts of our youth,” he said.
“I urge the doyens of the scientific community to speak out and make more effective contributions to an informed and reasoned debate on the issues before the nation. The voice of our scientists is important and should be heard.”
Manmohan Singh emphasised the need to use science as the means to fuel the country’s development.
“The burden on science in the future will only increase. Our problems are overwhelming and need scientific solutions.
“We have to use our abundant intellectual resources to find new pathways of development that use our scarce natural resources judiciously,” he said.
The ISCA is marking its centenary year celebrations.
- PM warns against growing intolerance (Roundup) - Jun 02, 2012
- ISCA to bring out inspirational videos: PM - Jun 02, 2012
- India failed to optimally use science and technology: PM - Jun 02, 2012
- Indian scientists give high marks to Manmohan (Lead) - Feb 26, 2012
- Indian scientists give high marks to Manmohan Singh - Feb 26, 2012
- Innovation key to solving country's critical problems: PM - Oct 20, 2010
- 'Getting upset over cartoons immature' - May 19, 2012
- Africa seeks long-term scientific partnership with India (With Images) - Mar 01, 2012
- Manmohan Singh wants Indian scientists to think out of the box - Jan 03, 2011
- BRICS working for shared prosperity: Manmohan Singh - Apr 14, 2011
- India to expand science, tech cooperation with Africa (Lead) - Mar 04, 2012
- Science congress to start Monday - Jan 02, 2011
- Net deterioration in security environment: PM (Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- India, Africa poised to expand science, tech cooperation - Mar 04, 2012
- Nair slams government, ISRO chief for action against him (Intro Roundup) - Jan 26, 2012
Tags: dissent, doyens, emphasised, hostage, indian science congress, indians, instincts, intellectual resources, isca, manmohan, manmohan singh, new pathways, orthodoxy, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, public debate, scarce natural resources, scientific solutions, sensationalism, year celebrations