PM assures all efforts to seek Sarabjit Singh’s reprieveMarch 18th, 2008 - 2:08 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, Mar 18 (ANI): Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan has assured Punjab Chief Minister Prakash Singh Badal that the Government of India is making all possible efforts to seek a reprieve for Sarabjit Singh.
Replying to a letter sent by Badal, Dr. Singh said that the Indian Government has taken up the matter regarding Sarabjit with the Pakistan Government at the highest level.
According to media reports, the death warrant for Sarabjit was received by authorities at Kot Lakhpat Jail in Lahore where he has been languishing for the last 17 years.
Sarabjit, who Pakistan claims is actually Manjit Singh, was sentenced to death for his alleged involvement in the bomb blasts in Lahore and Multan that killed 14 people in 1991.
Sarbjit’s sister Dalbir Kaur also met Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi to seek support for her brother’s release.
Rahul is said to have assured Dalbir that he would take up the matter with the concerned authorities.
It may be recalled that in an attempt to put a pressure on the governments of India and Pakistan, Dalbir had earlier threatened self-immolation.
The Indian Government has sought consular access and pressed for clemency for Sarabjit.
Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf has rejected Sarabjit’s mercy plea close on the heels of the release of Kashmir Singh, another death row prisoner who was recently released by Islamabad.
Pakistan’s Supreme Court had also rejected Sarabjit’s mercy petition in March 2006. (ANI)
- Fresh evidence says Sarabjit is innocent: Pakistani lawyer - Dec 06, 2010
- Sarabjit and Surjeet: Shock in one home, joy in another (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Have come with hopes of brother's release: Sarbjeet's sister - Jun 07, 2011
- Sarabjit's family shattered by Pakistan's 'cruel joke' (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sarabjit's kin in Ajmer, seek his release - Apr 08, 2012
- Krishna raises Sarabjit issue with Zardari - Sep 08, 2012
- Sarabjit's family on indefinite fast; meets Krishna (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Sarabjit to meet sister -- after 21 years - Jun 16, 2011
- Pakistan to release Sarabjit Singh soon, says lawyer - Sep 07, 2012
- Sarabjit's family elated in Punjab - Jun 26, 2012
- Reopen case, allow me to prove my innocence: Sarabjit - Jun 17, 2011
- Conditions favourable in Pakistan for Sarabjit's release: Sister - Jul 05, 2011
- India presses for Sarabjit's release, awaits confirmation (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Badal assures Sarabjit's family all help - Jul 11, 2009
- Zardari commutes Indian prisoner Sarabjit's death sentence - Jun 26, 2012
Tags: badal, bomb blasts, clemency, death row prisoner, death warrant, dr singh, government of india, india and pakistan, indian government, islamabad pakistan, manmohan, mercy petition, multan, pakistan government, pakistan president pervez musharraf, pervez musharraf, president pervez musharraf, rahul gandhi, reprieve, self immolation