PM announces Rs 1000 crore for flood-hit BiharAugust 28th, 2008 - 3:12 pm ICT by ANI
Patna, Aug 28 (ANI): Terming Bihar floods as national calamity, Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh on Thursday announced immediate release of Rs 1,000-crore as flood relief for the state.
The Prime Minister also announced immediate release of 1.25 lakh metric tonnes of foodgrains for the affected people.
Earlier in the day, Dr. Singh and the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) Chairperson Sonia Gandhi today undertook an aerial survey of Supaul, Saharsa, Araria and Madhepura districts.
They were accompanied by State Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, Railway Minister Lalu Prasad Yadav, Union Minister of State for Water Resource Jaiprakash Narain Yadav and BJP MP from Purnia Uday Singh and Araria MP Sukhdeo Paswan.
With the Kosi River continuing to unleash its fury in Bihar districts bordering Nepal, over 20 lakh people are bearing the brunt of floods.
The Army was called out to help the marooned people.
According to the Central Water Commission, the Kosi, Ganga, Ghaghra, Punpun and Burhi Gandak were flowing above the danger level at several places along their course.
The flood have affected 15 districts - Muzaffarpur, Patna, Katihar, Nalanda, West Champaran, Khagaria Sheikhpura, Purnia, Saran, Begusarai, Bhagalpur, Supaul, Saharsa, Madhepura and Araria.
Acres of human habitation and farmlands are submerged in the waters of the Kosi river that has caused havoc by breaking its embankments upstream in Nepal and changing course, affecting around 2.5 million people in six districts of the state.
About one lakh marooned people have been evacuated so far, bulk of them by government boats and many on their own. Four helicopters and 200 country boats are working overtime to ferry the men and material to safe destinations. (ANI)
- More embankments to control floods in Bihar - Jul 05, 2011
- Bihar flood situation grim as all rivers rise - Jul 07, 2011
- Over half a million hit by Bihar floods - Jul 06, 2011
- 1.5 million affected in Bihar floods - Aug 22, 2011
- Floods render thousands homeless in Bihar - Aug 21, 2011
- Fear of floods back in Bihar - Jul 01, 2011
- Flood waters enter over 1,000 Bihar villages - Aug 20, 2011
- Bihar floods worsen, over 100 villages inundated - Jul 04, 2011
- Nearly 100 Bihar villages flooded, rivers rising - Jul 02, 2011
- Rising Kosi floods dozens of Bihar villages - Jul 05, 2012
- Bihar cop fires on protesting flood victims, suspended - Aug 26, 2011
- Disaster control teams deployed in flood-hit Bihar - Aug 19, 2011
- Floodwater enters new areas in Bihar, mass evacuation underway - Aug 28, 2008
- Flood victim injured in police firing in Bihar - Aug 25, 2011
- Bihar flood situation grim: CM asks all to refrain from politicizing - Aug 29, 2008