Phelps wins seventh gold at Beijing OlympicsAugust 16th, 2008 - 12:22 pm ICT by ANI
Beijing, Aug. 16 (ANI): American swimmer Michael Phelps has equalled Mark Spitz” seven-gold mark with a hard-won gold medal in men’’s 100-meter butterfly at the Games here on Saturday.
Phelps beat Serbian Milorad Cavic by 0.01 seconds with an Olympic record time of 50.58 seconds. Australian Andrew Lauterstein got the bronze in 51.12. World record holder Ian Crocker finished fourth at 51.13.
Phelps is now on his way to an unprecedented feat of eight golds at a single Olympics.
Speaking after his win he said: “Beforehand, Bob (his coach) said it would be good for me if I lost. When he said that I was fired up. I said, ”I”m going to go for it”. And when I saw that finish I said ”wow”.”
Phelps again screamed after the victory and punched hard at the water. He was so overjoyed that he barely noticed Cavic congratulating him in the pool.
Phelps has one more race in the 4X100m medley relay to go before leaving Beijing, a Xinhua report said. (ANI)
- Can Olympic champion Phelps continue where he left off? - Jul 22, 2009
- Phelps to swim 400m medley at US trials - Jun 25, 2012
- Phelps, Lochte showdown in 200m medley - Aug 02, 2012
- Phelps equals Spitz's record of seven gold medals - Aug 16, 2008
- Olympics: Michael Phelps bids farewell - Aug 05, 2012
- Phelps equals Spitz's record, rowing double for Australia (Lead) - Aug 16, 2008
- Olympics: Phelps adds another feather - Aug 03, 2012
- Phelps confirms retirement after London Olympics - Aug 03, 2012
- I want to change the sport of swimming: Phelps - Aug 16, 2008
- Can anybody upstage Phelps in Rome? - Jul 22, 2009
- Phelps wins 7th straight gold in fingertip victory - Aug 16, 2008
- Phelps and I will still be friends, says Lochte - Jul 29, 2012
- US swimmer Phelps' 20 steps to immortality - Aug 17, 2008
- Lochte beats Phelps in 400m medley - Jun 26, 2012
- Phelps wins 400m medley gold at Austin meet - Jan 15, 2012
Tags: 4x100m medley, american swimmer, andrew lauterstein, beijing olympics, gold mark, ian crocker, mark spitz, medley relay, meter butterfly, michael phelps, milorad cavic, olympic record, olympics, pool, record time, unprecedented feat, victory, won gold medal, world record holder, xinhua