Phelps in consideration to be declared worlds greatest athleteAugust 14th, 2008 - 6:46 pm ICT by ANI
New York, August 14 (ANI): American swimmer Michael Phelps is reportedly in consideration to be pronounced the worlds greatest athlete.
In competition with him to clinch the title are sports stars like Tiger Woods, Kobe Bryant, Tom Brady and Roger Federer.
“There’’s only two guys in the conversation - Tiger Woods and Michael Phelps,” the New York Daily News quoted Sirius Satellite Radio sports talk host Bruce Murray as saying.
“I”d go with Tiger. But if you picked Phelps, I”d have a hard time disagreeing,” Murray said.
Phelps spectacular performance in Beijing has earned him a huge number of fans.
“I didn”t know about him before the Olympics, but I definitely know about him now. Eleven (gold) medals is fantastic,” said Josh Henderson, 35, an Olympics watcher interviewed in Manhattan, who was among the many new converts to Phelps fandom.
Woods, with his 14 golf majors, and tennis star Federer, with his 12 grand slam titles, are contenders.
ESPN Radios Buster Olney has also suggested that Phelps” name is in contention for greatest athlete ever.
“You can make a very strong case that if you were to draw up a list of 10 greatest male athletes of all time, he has to be on that list and maybe in the top three,” Olney said. (ANI)
- Phelps retiring at right time: Soviet gymnast Latynina - Aug 03, 2012
- Tiger Woods voted as Athlete of the Decade - Dec 17, 2009
- Olympics: Michael Phelps bids farewell - Aug 05, 2012
- Phelps confirms retirement after London Olympics - Aug 03, 2012
- Phelps to swim 400m medley at US trials - Jun 25, 2012
- Phelps wants to have fun at Olympic swansong - Jul 27, 2012
- Phelps and I will still be friends, says Lochte - Jul 29, 2012
- Despite sexual trysts, Woods remains world's top athlete brand: Forbes - Feb 05, 2010
- Phelps guns for Thorpe, wants to reverse result of 2004 Athens Games - Feb 13, 2011
- Olympics: Phelps adds another feather - Aug 03, 2012
- Phelps reveals future: Working with kids and swimming with sharks - Aug 06, 2012
- Olympics: Phelps takes his medal tally to 21; US overtake China (Overall Roundup) - Aug 04, 2012
- Woods to play in Melbourne's JBWere Masters - Sep 29, 2010
- Tiger Woods named 'Athlete of the Decade' by Associated Press - Dec 17, 2009
- Olympics: Phelps misses out on gold, but claims record - Aug 01, 2012
Tags: american swimmer, bruce murray, espn, gold medals, golf majors, grand slam titles, josh henderson, kobe bryant, male athletes, michael phelps, new york daily news, phelps name, radio sports, roger federer, satellite radio, spectacular performance, sports stars, tennis star, tiger woods, tom brady