People with sense of humour more attractiveAugust 6th, 2012 - 7:38 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 6 (IANS) People with a good sense of humour are “more attractive” and have a better chance of finding a partner, a study has found.
Many people deploy a strategy and show off one’s playful side in a bid to make themselves more appealing to potential mates, the Telegraph reported.
A team of US researchers surveyed 250 undergraduate students and found that both sexes list “sense of humour”, “fun loving” and “playful” among the most important characteristics they look for in a potential long-term partner.
The researchers said this could explain why humans continue to play throughout their lives, while most other animals stop doing so when they reach adulthood.
“Just as birds display bright plumage or colouration, men may attract women by showing off expensive cars or clothing. In the same vein, playfulness in a male may signal to females that he is non-aggressive and less likely to harm them or their offspring,” said lead author Garry Chick, professor and head of the Department of Recreation, Park and Tourism Management at Penn State University.
“A woman’s playfulness, on the other hand, may signal her youth and fertility,” he said.
The study asked participants about 13 characteristics which people may find desirable in a long-term partner.
Sense of humour, fun loving and playful were ranked second, third and fourth as traits that women look for after “kindness and understanding”.
Men ranked sense of humour as the highest priority, while putting physical attractiveness only ninth, according to the study in the American Journal of Play.
- Men like wet kisses while women want to keep them long! - Feb 12, 2011
- Birds use camouflage feathers to attract mates: Study - Sep 21, 2010
- Minogue likes creative, humourous men - Feb 16, 2012
- 'Hunks' Hugh Jackman, Brad Pitt top women's wish-list - Sep 12, 2010
- Here's how optimism can make you overweight - Mar 23, 2011
- 'Macho-looking' men more attractive to fertile women - Jan 11, 2011
- Men can literally laugh women into bed - Apr 01, 2009
- Crickets emit odour to bypass rivals in mating - Mar 23, 2011
- Women 'more attracted to men whose feelings are unclear' - Feb 08, 2011
- Cher loves men with great sense of humour - Dec 18, 2010
- 'Abused kids face elevated cancer risk as adults' - Jul 18, 2012
- 'Persistence pays in wooing women' - Dec 15, 2011
- Male bustards' success is measured by their 'beards' - Feb 09, 2011
- Here's why couples start looking like each other - Jun 29, 2010
- Cheating is the norm, not exception, in men - Jan 09, 2012
Tags: adulthood, better chance, both sexes, bright plumage, colouration, department of recreation, expensive cars, finding a partner, garry chick, good sense of humour, penn state university, physical attractiveness, playful side, playfulness, recreation park, sense of humour, term partner, tourism management, undergraduate students, understanding men