Pawar asks farmers to exploit potato export potentialDecember 9th, 2008 - 9:23 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi , Dec. 9 (ANI): Union Agriculture Minister, Sharad Pawar, called upon farmers to exploit the vast potential for export of potatoes by adopting available technology and maintaining high quality.
He was addressing the farmers after inaugurating the Global Potato Conference here today.
Over 400 scientists, trade and industry representatives and policy makers from all continents are attending the Conference, said a press releasse.
A large number of farmers are also attending the Conference.
The Minister argued that while India is the third largest potato producer in the world, its contribution to global potato trade is a mere 0.5 percent. India has the required production technologies and the produce is free from major diseases, which provide significant opportunity for export of potato products.
Pawar informed that in recent years, India has seen record production of horticultural crops. This, he said, has been possible with the launch of mega schemes such as the National Food Security Mission, Rashtriya Krishi Vikas Yojna and the National Horticulture Mission, coupled with research initiatives. Going by the trend seen in the past, the goal of the NHM to double horticulture production from 150 million tonnes in 2003-04 to 300 MT by 2011-12 seems fully achievable, he said.(ANI)
- 'India's share in global potato trade is 0.5 percent' - Dec 11, 2008
- Himachal launches crop insurance scheme - Jul 13, 2011
- Big role for India in organic food trade: Pawar - Jul 07, 2010
- Plan outlay for agriculture up by 18 percent in budget (Lead) - Mar 16, 2012
- Organic farming can boost organic food trade: Pawar - Jul 07, 2010
- Onion export ban lifted - Sep 20, 2011
- Food production up in eastern India - Feb 24, 2012
- Some subsidy may be restored to tackle drought: Minister - Jul 27, 2012
- Bio-technology the only way to combat world hunger: Experts - Oct 20, 2011
- Adani to procure 22,000 tonnes apples - Aug 12, 2012
- Liquor costlier, foodgrain cheaper in Maharashtra (Lead) - Mar 23, 2011
- Bihar's potatoes to be exported to Russia - Aug 31, 2012
- Agri-products perish before reaching consumers, admits government - Aug 12, 2009
- India's leading organic companies launch trade body - Dec 14, 2010
- Production at SAIL's Bhilai Steel Plant dips - Apr 10, 2012
Tags: agriculture minister, available technology, continents, diseases, farmers, horticultural crops, horticulture production, industry representatives, launch, national food security, New Delhi, nhm, potato products, potato trade, potatoes, research initiatives, scientists, security mission, sharad pawar, tonnes