Parents who smoke around kids are ‘child abusers,’ says Brit docAugust 9th, 2010 - 12:22 pm ICT by ANI
London, Aug 9 (ANI): Parents who smoke around their children are putting them at early death risk, says a British doctor.
Professor Steve Field, chairman of the Royal College of General Practitioners, said that adults could outlive their children if they neglect their kids’ health.
He labeled the habit of parents smoking around children as a form of ‘child abuse.’
“I suppose the same people also smoke at home in front of their children,” The Sun quoted Field as saying.
“Evidence from the US indicates that more young children are killed by parental smoking than by all other unintentional injuries combined,” he added.
Field, representing 42,000 British GPs, urged parents, mothers-to-be, the obese, smokers and drinkers not to take offence at their doctors’ advice not to smoke, eat or drink in excess.
The doctor was particularly scathing about irresponsible adults who choose to feed their kids with large portions of junk food.
He said, “Unless parents exert more control over their children’s diets, they are risking a lifetime of health problems, and even premature death - death before their parents, which is almost too sad to contemplate.” (ANI)
- Beware! Passive smoking riskier than you think (May 31 is World No Tobacco Day) - May 30, 2012
- British doctors want ban on smoking in cars - Nov 16, 2011
- New warning to pregnant women who smoke - May 31, 2010
- Smoking 'ups breast cancer risk in postmenopausal women' - Mar 02, 2011
- Smokers in cars with kids may be penalised in Wales - Jul 16, 2011
- Obesity replaces smoking as leading heath risk in Queensland - Jul 19, 2010
- Smoke-free public places law can protect kids from second hand smoke - Jun 07, 2010
- Britain bans public display of cigarettes - Apr 06, 2012
- Research Ascertains That Kids Residing In Apartments Are Exposed Additionally To Secondhand Smoke - Dec 14, 2010
- Smoking parents might up risk of heart diseases in kids: Study - Nov 15, 2010
- Babies sleeping with smoker parents have thrice-higher nicotine levels - Mar 30, 2011
- Stressful pregnancy could harm child - Aug 01, 2012
- Parent intervention protects kids against smoking initiation - May 03, 2011
- Exposure to smokers 'still a major cause of asthma attacks in kids' - Jan 28, 2011
- Keep kids away from crime, don't smoke during pregnancy - Nov 17, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,