Parenting style can prevent binge drinking in teensJune 24th, 2010 - 5:41 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, June 24 (ANI): A new study has revealed that parenting style is an important factor in preventing binge drinking amongst teens.
According to a new Brigham Young University study of 5,000 adolescents and their parents, the researchers found that parents who scored high on both accountability and warmth had teens with least chances of heavy drinking, whereas so-called ‘indulgent’ parents nearly tripled that chance.
And ’strict’ parents - high on accountability and low on warmth - more than doubled their teen’s risk of heavy drinking.
The BYU researchers also note that teens in this new study were more likely to have non-drinking friends if their parents scored high on warmth and accountability.
“The adolescent period is kind of a transitional period and parents sometimes have a hard time navigating that,” said Stephen Bahr, a professor in BYU’s College of Family, Home and Social Sciences.
“Although peers are very important, it’s not true that parents have no influence,” she added.
“Make sure that it’s not just about controlling their behavior - you need to combine knowing how they spend their time away from home with a warm, loving relationship,” said co-author John Hoffmann.
The study will be published in the July issue of the Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs. (ANI)
- Parenting style can prevent heavy drinking - Jun 24, 2010
- Religious teens less likely to consume marijuana - Jun 24, 2010
- Binge drinking affects female teens negatively - Jul 17, 2011
- Religious beliefs curb teens marijuana use by half - Oct 19, 2008
- Binge drinking increases impulsive behavior in males - Nov 17, 2010
- Binge-drinking teens risk lasting brain changes - Apr 05, 2011
- Dads can ground kids in perseverance - Jun 17, 2012
- Bestselling teen novels bristle with swear words - May 18, 2012
- Adult-supervised drinking in teens may up alcohol use - Apr 29, 2011
- Why problem drinking during adolescence is never 'just a phase' - Feb 16, 2011
- Parents important for keeping teens off alcohol - Mar 08, 2011
- Teen drinking linked to higher internet use - May 10, 2011
- Kids who drink with parents 'develop alcohol problems' - Jan 28, 2010
- 7-hour sleep helps high school students do better - Feb 13, 2012
- Study says 'pep talk can reduce violence, alcoholic problems among teenagers' - Aug 04, 2010
Tags: accountability, adolescent period, adolescents, alcohol and drugs, author john, bahr, binge drinking, brigham young, brigham young university, co author, hard time, john hoffmann, journal of studies on alcohol, june 24, loving relationship, parenting style, s college, strict parents, transitional period, warmth