Paracetamol and ibuprofen for mild fever ‘puts kids’ health at risk’February 28th, 2011 - 5:33 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb 28 (ANI): Giving regular spoonfuls of paracetamol and ibuprofen to children with a mild fever could extend their illness or put their health at risk, warn doctors.
A misplaced ‘fever phobia’ in society means parents too frequently use both medicines to bring down even slight temperatures, said a group of American pediatricians.
According to their study, as many as half of parents are giving their children the wrong dosage, reports the Telegraph.
In the new guidance, the American Academy of Pediatrics advises that a high temperature is often the body’s way of fighting an infection, and warns parents that to bring it down with drugs could actually lengthen a child’s illness.
Family doctors too readily advise parents to use the medicines, known collectively as “antipyretics”, said the authors.
Paracetamol has been linked to asthma, while there have been reports of ibuprofen causing stomach ulcers and bleeding, and leading to kidney problems. (ANI)
- Teenagers may develop asthma by taking paracetamol - Aug 14, 2010
- Use of Paracetamol may double asthma risk in teens - Aug 14, 2010
- Paracetamol doubles risk of asthma in kids - Nov 30, 2010
- Parent's misuse of medicines puts children at risk - Aug 30, 2010
- Pregnant mums using paracetamol 'may up risk of childhood asthma' - Nov 11, 2010
- Calpol safe for kids, say pharmacists - Sep 21, 2008
- Study pushes for smoke-free car laws to protect infants - May 02, 2011
- Chandigarh doctors clown around - and get children smiling - Dec 30, 2010
- Popular painkillers can turn into real killers - Dec 02, 2011
- Viral illness kills 17, affects 35,000 in China - Jul 15, 2012
- Paracetamol doubles teens' chances of getting asthma - Aug 15, 2010
- Asthma management programs benefit preschoolers: Study - Feb 26, 2011
- Maternal depression may aggravate childhood asthma - Nov 20, 2009
- Kids with lung disease prone to serious infections at daycare - Sep 27, 2010
- Simple ways to protect your child from swine flu - Sep 20, 2009
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,