Panchayat’s diktat has no place in democratic society: ChidambaramJuly 13th, 2012 - 5:46 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, July 13 (IANS) Union Home Minister P. Chidambaram said here Friday that the “Taliban-style” diktat by a khap panchayat in Uttar Pradesh’s Baghpat region, forbidding women from using cell phones, going to the market or walking unescorted, “has no place in a democratic society”.
“I would expect the state government to take action,” Chidambaram said here, addressing a press conference.
Answering a query about the diktat, Chidambaram said, “Such diktats have no legal authority and the state authorities should ensure that no one comes to harm for, quote unquote, violating the diktat”.
He said such kind of diktats, or fatwas “according to me, have no place in a democratic society… I don’t think anyone can say how people should dress and behave, it is completely undemocratic”.
The Asaara panchayat in Baghpat Thursday set out a series of rules for women under 40 — that they should cover their heads, not use mobile phones, not leave the house after sunset. It also banned the entry of couples who had a love marriage.
On Friday, the panchayat members beat up two policemen over the arrest of two of their members for issuing the diktat.
The policemen had gone to Asaara village after senior officials dispatched a team to probe the matter.
The policemen were brutally attacked and their motorcycle set on fire. The villagers fled after freeing the arrested panchayat members, a police official said.
- Outrage over diktat against women, villagers thrash cops (Roundup) - Jul 13, 2012
- After diktat against women, Baghpat villagers thrash cops - Jul 13, 2012
- Sharad Yadav for action against caste panchayats - Jul 14, 2012
- UP Khap diktat outrages women politicians, activists (Lead) - Jul 13, 2012
- Women activists slam feudal panchayats, demand action - Jul 13, 2012
- It also happens here: Women in India fight indifference (Comment) - Jul 14, 2012
- 'Khap' bans jeans, mobile phones for girls in Uttar Pradesh village - Jan 18, 2011
- Activist criticises politicians for supporting khaps - Jul 28, 2010
- Engineering student killed for having affair - Nov 24, 2011
- Court declines man's plea on marriage with lover - Jun 25, 2012
- Khap lifts social boycott diktat after 22 years - Aug 07, 2010
- Issue orders to check khap panchayats, SC urged - Jul 16, 2012
- Jat leaders protest against government stand on Khap traditions - Jul 27, 2010
- Khap panchayats: No room for a parallel justice system (Comment) - May 12, 2010
- Law tightens noose around Haryana's community courts - Mar 29, 2010
Tags: cell phones, chandigarh, couples, democratic society, diktat, diktats, fatwas, mobile phones, motorcycle, p chidambaram, panchayat members, police official, policemen, quote unquote, senior officials, state authorities, state government, taliban, union home minister, uttar pradesh