Palin E-mail hacker targeted family, staff: InvestigatorsSeptember 19th, 2008 - 12:31 pm ICT by ANI
Anchorage (Alaska), Sept.19 (ANI): Sarah Palin wasnt the only target of an online hacker.
Law enforcement officials are claiming that her family and staff were also compromised.
Justice Department spokeswoman Laura Sweeney said on Thursday that the FBI and Secret Service have launched a formal investigation into the hacking of one of Palins Yahoo E-mail accounts.
Yahoo declined to comment Thursday on the details of the investigation, citing Palins privacy and the sensitivity of such investigations, Fox News reports.
A preliminary probe reveals that the hacker used Ctunnel.com, an Internet proxy site, which renders Web users anonymous, to get into Palins e-mail.
Gabriel Ramuglia, a web developer from Athens, Georgia, runs the site. He said the hacker left behind revealing clues after posting screen grabs of Palins inbox.
Ramuglia said he saw the screenshots and recognized his site. He is now working with the FBI to provide agents with his business logs to help identify the criminal.
Ramuglia said the FBI told him they also reached out to Yahoo to ask for help. The hope is that information from Yahoo could be matched with something in the proxy sites logs, identifying the hacker.
The logs from both Ctunnel.com and Yahoo! should be delivered to the FBI by Friday, Ramuglia said.
Meanwhile, Jose Nazario, a senior security engineer with Arbor Networks Inc., said he knows through personal contacts that members of the group Anonymous were involved in the Palin e-mail attack.
He said Anonymous is a loose network of a few dozen people who live in the United States and abroad and range from teenagers to 30-year-olds who share what he said is a sociopathic sense of humor.
Anonymous sort of takes pride in doing this publicly and pissing people off. There are other groups that do this, but they arent as public about it, Nazario said. (ANI)
- FBI serves warrant to Democrats son over hacking of Palins e-mail - Sep 23, 2008
- Hotmail users complain of missing e-mails - Jan 02, 2011
- Palin's e-mail hacker starts prison term - Jan 14, 2011
- Sarah Palin e-mail hacker gets one year in jail - Nov 13, 2010
- Operate multiple accounts with single password - Mar 02, 2010
- Facebook's E-Mail Service is Expected on Monday - Nov 13, 2010
- US develops new technology to penetrate through Chinese Internet censors - Feb 06, 2011
- Yahoo Mail gets makeover after 5 yrs to catch up with Microsoft, Google - Oct 27, 2010
- Sarah Palin's private email account hacked - Sep 18, 2008
- Hackers fake Nobel literature prize win for author - Oct 07, 2011
- Yahoo hackers leak passwords - Jul 13, 2012
- Inadvertent error in CEO's resume: Yahoo - May 04, 2012
- Iranian state backed hackers accused of attacking online security systems to pry on opposition - Mar 25, 2011
- Blogger 'ready to meet FBI over celebrity nude photo hacker' - Mar 22, 2011
- Microsoft's Hotmail gets a makeover - May 19, 2010
Tags: anchorage alaska, athens georgia, department spokeswoman, e mail attack, family staff, formal investigation, fox news, internet proxy, laura sweeney, law enforcement officials, loose network, mail accounts, mail hacker, proxy sites, sarah palin, screen grabs, security engineer, staff investigators, target, yahoo e mail