Palestinian prisoner’s wife delivers baby via smuggled semenAugust 13th, 2012 - 7:11 pm ICT by IANS
Ramallah, Aug 13 (IANS) A Palestinian prisoner’s wife Monday delivered a baby conceived through artificial insemination after the father’s semen was smuggled out from his Israeli prison.
The baby was born in a hospital in the West Bank city of Nablus and doctors said the process was unprecedented, Xinhua reported.
“The operation and the birth succeeded and the mother and the baby are in good health,” said Salem Abu Khaizaran, a doctor at the birth centre.
The prisoner, Ammar Al-Zabn, tried three times to have children via artificial fertilisation over the past four weeks. But his attempts failed for several reasons, he said.
The couple had a daughter before the man was arrested.
“I’m very happy at having a son who would take care of me and his sister in the future,” said the mother.
Ziad Abu Ein, deputy minister of prisoners’ affairs of the Palestinian National Authority, said Israel must allow Palestinian prisoners to have sex with their wives since Israeli prisoners are granted this right.
Israel holds 4,700 Palestinian prisoners, over 500 of them serving life sentences.
- Inmate Has Son after Sneaking Sperm out to Wife - Aug 14, 2012
- Palestinian protesters clash with Israeli army in West Bank - Feb 12, 2012
- 'Press Israel to meet Palestinian prisoners' demands' - May 08, 2012
- Palestinians organise local marathon to reject Israeli one - Mar 19, 2012
- Palestinians jailed in Israel go on hunger strike - Apr 17, 2012
- Palestinian women protest in support of hunger striker - Mar 08, 2012
- Dozens of Palestinians wounded in clashes with Israeli soldiers - Mar 31, 2012
- Israeli army demolishes West Bank mosque - Oct 11, 2011
- Israel should meet its obligations to revive peace: Abbas - Dec 31, 2011
- Israel raids Palestinian TV stations in Ramallah - Mar 01, 2012
- Abbas suspends peace talks - Oct 02, 2010
- Hamas calls on Palestinians to abduct Israelis - Apr 18, 2012
- Israel arrests top Hamas militant - Mar 14, 2010
- Palestinian UN bid not to be withdrawn even if talks resume: Abbas - Oct 11, 2011
- Egypt confirms Israeli-Palestinian prisoners swap deal - Oct 12, 2011
Tags: artificial fertilisation, artificial insemination, attempts, birth centre, deputy minister, doctors, good health, israel, israeli prison, life sentences, nablus, palestinian national authority, palestinian prisoners, ramallah, semen, three times, west bank, west bank city, xinhua