Pair of tombs dating back to 4,300 years discovered in EgyptDecember 24th, 2008 - 2:29 pm ICT by ANI
London, Dec 24 (ANI): Archaeologists in Egypt have discovered a pair of 4,300-year-old tombs that indicate a burial site south of Cairo is bigger than expected.
The tombs, found at the Saqqara necropolis, belong to two officials from the court of the Pharaoh Unas, Zahi Hawass, Egypts antiquities chief told BBC News.
While one tomb was for the official in charge of quarries used for building pyramids, the other was for the head of music.
Hieroglyphics decorate the entrances of both the newly discovered tombs.
The entrance of the tomb of the official in charge of music, Thanah, shows carved images of her smelling lotus flowers.
The other official whose tomb was discovered, Iya Maat, oversaw the extraction of granite and limestone from Aswan and other materials from the Western Desert for the construction of nearby pyramids.
According to Zahi Hawass, the tombs represented a major find.
The discovery of the two tombs are the beginning of a big, large cemetery, he said. But, the contents of the newly found tombs have long since been stolen, he added.
We are continuing our excavation and we are going to uncover more tombs in the area to explain the period of dynasty five and dynasty six, he further added, referring to a period more than 4,000 years ago.
New discoveries are frequently made at Saqqara, including the unearthing of the remains of a pyramid in November this year. (ANI)
- Ancient Egyptian priest's tomb discovered in Giza - Oct 19, 2010
- Attempt to steal pharaoh's statue foiled in Egypt - Feb 25, 2011
- Colourful ancient tombs unearthed in Egypt - Jul 08, 2010
- 3,300-year-old tomb of army chief discovered in 'City of the Dead' - May 31, 2010
- Tomb of King Tut's wife may emerge in 2011 - Jan 04, 2011
- Archaeologists discover two tombs from Egypts 5th dynasty - Dec 22, 2008
- Archaeologists discover huge 2,500-year-old tomb near Cairo - Jan 05, 2010
- Statue of King Tut's grandfather unearthed - Nov 07, 2010
- Discovery in Saudi Arabia suggests Egyptian empire extended further than thought - Nov 12, 2010
- Archaeologists find burial chamber of 4,000-year-old Egyptian queen - Mar 04, 2010
- Ancient walls that protected Sphinx from desert winds uncovered - Nov 03, 2010
- Archaeologists find 4,300 year old tombs in Egypt - Jul 09, 2010
- Headless granite statue of ancient Egypt king discovered - May 05, 2010
- Sixth Dynasty Egyptian Queen's Burial Chamber Unearthed Near Cairo - Mar 04, 2010
- Dozens of mummies unearthed from ancient Egyptian burial ground Saqqara - Feb 23, 2009
Tags: antiquities, archaeologists, aswan, building pyramids, burial site, cairo, dec 24, dynasty, egypts, excavation, large cemetery, limestone, lotus flowers, new discoveries, pharaoh, quarries, saqqara, tombs, western desert, zahi hawass