Oz yet to decide on players who refuse to tour Pak for Champs Trophy

July 14th, 2008 - 1:30 pm ICT by ANI  

Sydney , July 14 (ANI): Cricket Australia (CA) has said that it was currently focussed on understanding the security issues ahead of the Champions Trophy in Pakistan , and concerns about whether the tournament will go ahead. And, thereafter, it would consider the position of players who refuse to tour Pakistan for the Champions Trophy.

The Aussies are slated to name its team for the tournament by August 15.

CA Chief Executive James Sutherland said that the cricket body was relying on the advice of consultants that have been engaged to work with ICC, taking stock of the security situation in the country.

Then, we get down to the decision for us as to whether were comfortable, Sutherland told the Age. Australia has till August 15 to name their final squad for the Champions Trophy and Sutherland expects to have a better picture of the situation by then. We have a high level of confidence in the consultants that have been engaged to work with ICC and the authorities in Pakistan . Now it is a matter of getting a better understanding in the coming couple of weeks from those consultants of how successful that implementation has been, the Daily Times quoted him as saying.

Meanwhile, Andrew Symonds, the Australian all-rounder, has expressed his reservations over touring Pakistan, a country that in the past year has had a state of emergency imposed on it, suffered the assassination of a former prime minister, followed by riots and bomb attacks on two of its cities.

But other players, including Shane Watson and Nathan Hauritz, have said they will be happy to play anywhere as long as they get to represent Australia .

Earlier this year Australia had postponed their tour of Pakistan due to security concerns. They are now scheduled to visit the country for bi-lateral series in 2009 and 2010. (ANI)

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in Health Science |