Over one million devotees throng Rajasthan shrine for NavratrasMarch 28th, 2009 - 3:25 pm ICT by IANS
Agra, March 28 (IANS) More than one million pilgrims thronged the famous Kaila Devi shrine in Rajasthan, waving red flags and singing religious songs to mark the start of the nine-day Navratras festival.
Krishna Pal Singh, the head of the erstwhile ruling family of Karauli state where the shrine is located, some 200 km from here, hoisted a flag Friday to kick off the festivities.
Groups of men, women and children, decked in red scarves and white dhotis were seen singing hymns and folk songs to express their devotion to the deity.
“The darshan of the Devi remained open till late on Friday night,” Dinesh, a devotee, said.
Girdhari Singh, a member of the Kaila Devi trust, said: “It is bigger than the Kumbh (mela). More than 50 lakh (five million) pilgrims are expected to visit the shrine during the Navratras.”
The Karauli yatra is the biggest fair in southeast Rajasthan and parts of Uttar Pradesh’s Agra division, attracting devotees from places like Firozabad, Mathura, Hathras and Bharatpur.
Free community kitchens, resting places and dispensaries have been built along the route to the shrine for the convenience of devotees.
- Karauli Mela, Braj region's very own Kumbh - Mar 21, 2012
- Pilgrims' progress begins to Rajasthan's Kumbh Mela - Apr 11, 2011
- Pilgrims throng Karauli Devi's shrine in Rajasthan - Apr 02, 2008
- Thousands of devotees throng Himachal temples - Sep 28, 2011
- Devotees throng Himachal temples with onset of Shravan - Jul 20, 2012
- Katra traders earn profits during 'Navratra' festival - Mar 23, 2010
- Stampedes at religious places in over a decade - Nov 08, 2011
- Devotees throng a religious festival in Jodhpur - Apr 26, 2010
- Navratri begins with fervour in Uttar Pradesh - Sep 28, 2011
- Millions throng Mathura, Vrindavan for special prayers - Apr 26, 2010
- Haryana temple gets foreign currency - Mar 24, 2010
- Vaishno Devi devotees face hardship due to security measures near Katra - Sep 25, 2009
- Speeding Scorpio runs down two pilgrims - Mar 15, 2010
- Mumbai celebrates Ram Navami with devotion - Apr 01, 2012
- Driver kills six tourist passengers - Oct 05, 2011
Tags: agra, community kitchens, darshan, deity, devotee, devotees, dhotis, dispensaries, folk songs, kaila, krishna pal singh, kumbh mela, navratras, pilgrims, red flags, religious songs, resting places, scarves, uttar pradesh, yatra