Over a billion people hungry: UN agencyJune 21st, 2009 - 4:12 pm ICT by IANS
London, June 21 (IANS) World hunger is estimated to reach an unprecedented high in 2009 with 1,020 million people going hungry every day, according to the UN’s Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO).
FAO said that the recent increase in hunger has been caused by the world economic crisis that has resulted in lower incomes and increased unemployment. This has reduced access to food for the poor.
“A dangerous mix of the global economic slowdown combined with stubbornly high food prices in many countries has pushed some 100 million more people than last year into chronic hunger and poverty” said FAO Director-General Jacques Diouf Saturday.
He added that “The silent hunger crisis - affecting one sixth of all humanity - poses a serious risk for world peace and security. We urgently need to forge a broad consensus on the total and rapid eradication of hunger in the world and to take the necessary actions.”
“The present situation of world food insecurity cannot leave us indifferent,” he warned.
“The rapid march of urgent hunger continues to unleash an enormous humanitarian crisis. The world must pull together to ensure emergency needs are met as long term solutions are advanced,” said Josette Sheernan, Executive Director of the UN World Food Programme.
- UN food agencies warn high food prices to continue - Oct 10, 2011
- Number of hungry people to top 1 bn in 2009: UN - Jun 19, 2009
- Meltdown could leave over 1 bn people hungry in 2009 (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jun 21, 2009
- Hindus want emergent solution to rising world food prices - Feb 04, 2011
- Brazilian economist new chief of UN food agency - Jun 27, 2011
- UN official appeals for greater attention to food security sitution in Africa - May 07, 2010
- UN declares famine in two southern regions of Somalia - Jul 20, 2011
- ADB, FAO, AND IFAD PARTNER to address food security concerns in Asia, Pacific region - Sep 24, 2010
- World food prices may remain high next year: FAO - Jun 08, 2011
- Italy to send emergency aid to Horn of Africa - Aug 19, 2011
- Hindus criticize World Hunger Summit for concentrating on Pope - Nov 13, 2009
- UAE's Sheikha Fatima named UN goodwill ambassador - Oct 15, 2010
- Hunger costs poor countries $450 billion a year: ActionAid - Sep 15, 2010
- Trees can serve as a vital "famine food" to keep drought-hit communities alive - Aug 05, 2009
- Financial crash could deepen food crisis: UN - Oct 15, 2008
Tags: chronic hunger, dangerous mix, director general, economic crisis, eradication, fao, food and agriculture organization, food insecurity, food prices, global economic slowdown, humanitarian crisis, hunger in the world, jacques diouf, long term solutions, necessary actions, rapid march, un agency, world food programme, world hunger, world peace