Over 22,000 poultry culled in bird flu-hit MaldaDecember 21st, 2008 - 5:05 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Dec 21 (IANS) Over 22,000 poultry birds have been culled since Tuesday in West Bengal’s bird flu-hit Malda district, a state minister said Sunday.”About 22,500 chickens and ducks have been culled till Saturday night at Narhatta and Satgheria villages under English Bazar police station in Malda district,” Animal Resources Development (ARD) Minister Anisur Rehman told IANS Sunday.
“Major part of the culling operations were over Saturday night. Whatever little is left, veterinary workers will complete by Sunday night.”
“Simultaneously we have started the mopping up operations Sunday that will continue till Monday,” Rehman said.
The ARD had set a target of culling about 25,000 poultry birds in the affected areas of Malda, about 350 km from here.
Veterinary workers, wearing white protective suits, gloves and masks, started the culling operations Tuesday after blood samples of dead poultry sent to the High Security Disease Diagnostic Laboratory in Bhopal tested positive for avian flu.
In January, over 200,000 poultry birds were culled in several West Bengal districts.
This is the second time the disease has hit Malda district. An outbreak of bird flu had been detected in the district in March and more than 50,000 birds were culled.
- Over 20,000 poultry culled in West Bengal - Dec 20, 2008
- Bird flu: culling operations on in West Bengal, Assam (Lead) - Dec 23, 2008
- About 17,000 poultry culled in West Bengal - Dec 19, 2008
- Culling on in West Bengal's bird flu-hit Malda (Lead) - Dec 17, 2008
- 9,000 birds culled in bird-flu hit Bengal district - Dec 18, 2008
- Hit by avian flu again, West Bengal's Malda begins culling - Dec 16, 2008
- Over 10,000 birds culled in West Bengal's Malda (Lead) - Dec 18, 2008
- Tripura, Mizoram on bird flu alert - Feb 25, 2011
- Fresh outbreak of bird flu in West Bengal - Feb 18, 2009
- West Bengal's Malda hit by bird flu, culling begins (Lead) - Dec 16, 2008
- West Bengal starts 3-day culling in bird flu hit Malda (Second Lead) - Dec 16, 2008
- Culling continues in avian flu-hit district of Meghalaya - Jan 13, 2012
- Fresh cases of bird flu in Tripura - Mar 06, 2011
- Over 6,200 poultry culled after fresh flu in Tripura - Feb 02, 2012
- 155 poultry culled in West Bengal's bird flu-hit Malda - Dec 17, 2008