Over 17,000 donate blood in Punjab’s mega campMarch 10th, 2009 - 11:05 pm ICT by IANS
Anandpur Sahib (Punjab), March 10 (IANS) Over 17,000 people from many parts of the country donated blood at a mega donation camp in this Punjab town Tuesday. More donors are still pouring in as organisers aim to get 25,000 people to donate blood in a single day and enter the Guinness Book of World Records.
“There has been an overwhelming response and we are sure to break the world record of maximum blood donation in a single day. Till now we have registered 17,000 donors. Seeing an enormous rush, we have decided to hold this camp till 7 a.m. Wednesday,” Jaswinder Singh, media coordinator of the organising committee, told IANS.
The collected blood was sent to more than 60 blood banks of various medical institutes in the country.
“More than 110 blood banks from all over the country had assembled here to collect blood. Special arrangements have been made to airlift the donated blood to different parts of the country,” Singh said.
Anandpur Sahib, 85 km from the state capital Chandigarh, is known for the Sikh shrine Takht Keshgarh Sahib.
Led by the Shiromani Gurudwara Prabandhak Committee (SGPC), the mini-parliament of the Sikh religion, various other Panthic (Sikh) organisations under the aegis of the Akal Takht, the highest temporal seat of Sikhs, are taking part in this mega camp.
“A special train carrying 1,800 donors came from Nagpur, Maharashtra. Besides 40 buses from Delhi, 25 from Rajasthan, 30 from Jammu, and nearly 125 buses from all over Punjab ferrying donors have reached here,” Singh said.
He said 250 doctors and 1,500 para-medics were engaged for the camp.
“As per the requirements of the officials of the Guinness Book of World Records, we have installed cameras at all the four corners and we are strictly following their instructions.”
The camp is being held on the occasion of the Sikh festival of Hola Mohalla, which coincides with the Indian festival of colours, Holi.
- 18,207 people donate blood in Punjab's mega camp - Mar 11, 2009
- Sikh groups to hold mega blood donation camp - Mar 09, 2009
- Thousands converge at shrine for Hola Mohalla - Mar 08, 2012
- 25,000 people may donate blood during Hola Mohalla celebrations - Feb 27, 2009
- Sikhs to hold mega-blood donation camp in Punjab - Feb 16, 2009
- Green 'Hola Mohalla' festival planned at Punjab gurdwara - Mar 12, 2011
- Train to five Sikh shrines in December - Apr 03, 2012
- Badal conferred highest Sikh title, radicals cry foul - Dec 05, 2011
- Hindu and Sikh shrines on Punjab-HP border to be linked - Jul 18, 2012
- Sikhs celebrate Holla Mohalla through blood donation camps - Mar 10, 2009
- Sikh group wants Anandpur Sahib declared plastic free - Mar 11, 2011
- Sikh festival Holla Mohalla starts at Anandpur Sahib - Feb 27, 2010
- PM to inaugurate Sikh heritage site - Oct 22, 2011
- When PM's no-show becomes an election issue (Punjab Newsletter) - Nov 05, 2011
- Luxury Sikh pilgrimage train departs from New Delhi - Dec 30, 2010
Tags: airlift, akal takht, blood banks, blood donation, book of world records, guinness book of world, guinness book of world records, holi, jaswinder singh, maximum blood, media coordinator, medical institutes, mohalla, organising committee, overwhelming response, panthic, sahib, sikh festival, sikh religion, sikhs